virus: Here comes the sheriff

From: David McFadzean (david@lucifer.com)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 21:08:25 MDT

    The recent conflict on the list has escalated to the point where I
    am forced to lay down the law before it is ready. The plan was to
    use the new reputation system (or something like it) to establish
    CoV policy including rules concerning proscribed behaviors in the
    public forums and measures for dealing with transgressors.

    In the meantime, since I have the power to do so I will lay down
    my own law, wild west style. Once the new system is in place we
    will be able to ratify it or amend it as much as needed.

    As of now we will not tolerate personal attacks in any CoV forum
    (including the list, BBS, and #virus channel). I won't bother
    defining what constitutes a personal attack, we have seen many
    examples lately, and ultimately (for now) it is up to me to decide
    so err on the side of caution.

    Anyone breaking this rule (in my view) will suffer The Silencing
    for a period of one week on their first offence. This means they
    will be unsubscribed from the mailing list, their account will
    be disabled on the BBS by changing the password, and they will
    be banned from the #virus channel. In other words, they will be
    unable to participate in any CoV public forums (though they are
    free to read the archives as a non-member). On the second offence
    the period will double to 2 weeks, and will double again for
    every offence after that.

    Any and all trangressions that happened before this message hits
    the archives are hereby pardoned. Public apologies for past
    transgressions will be gratefully accepted, but excuses will
    be politely ignored.

    Until we have a more formal system in place (hopefully soon),
    I reserve the right to add more rules governing behavior in
    the public forums. Anything not explicitly prohibited is permitted,
    but please don't use that as an excuse for regrettable behavior.

    David Lucifer
    First Host, Church of Virus