virus: Another Diagnosis

From: joedees@bellsouth.net
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 13:37:02 MDT

    I could not completely accept Hermit's diagnosis of my paper,

    [Hermit] That in the expressed opinion of the CoV (Reputation)
    you are not representative of the CoV, never mind the best of the
    CoV, and that in the expressed opinion of the CoV (Should Joe's
    essay be included in the Best Of Virus?) your latest "paper" does
    not deserve a place there, despite your "conceited", pompous,
    arrogant assertion that it does ( [ Joe Dees, "virus: Call me
    conceited...", 2003-08-08 ] . Perhaps because it seems to me (and
    others) to read like an undergraduate with logorrhea's funding
    request, lacking a theme, filled with waffle and developing
    nothing.

    Or Jakes,

    Heh. well, I can follow a bit of it myself, but I sense that needless
    academic complexity has little use for religious basis for CoV. I
    would encourage people to try out some of these complex ideas in
    the environment of CoV, however I think that we need to process
    these ideas down into more accessible if still somewhat
    metaphorical prose style. If CoV simply revolves arund an
    academic post-modernist circle jerk then it doesn't really go
    anywhere interesting. At a minimum I would want to see some
    real data, evidence, or other scientifically reputable process at
    work other than just regurgitating and playing with other people's
    work at the computer screen. So if Joe actually did emperical
    work to justify my actually trying to decipher his high-vocabulary
    thoughts, I might give it a whirl. But since it doesn't seem that he
    has, I think I will just leave Joe with his own thoughts on this one,
    and vote that we not include this in best of virus. As a purely
    creative endeavor, which this really best qualifies as, I have
    certainly seen more compelling reading out of Joe.

    because I have requested and received another opinion from Dr.
    Bruce Dunn (PhD, Psychology, Cornell), and here's what he had
    to say (only at the end; I omit his useful comments interspersed
    with the text):

    "A creative and thought-provoking work. The first part of the
    paper was easily read and understood by an intelligent lay person.
    From pages 10 on, more definitions of key terms and expansion of
    your ideas (preferably with examples +/or metaphors) would have
    been useful.
    All in all, very good work!"

    I asked Dr. Dunn for his opinion because he is a coeditor of the
    book (Monographs in Psychobiology: An Integrated Approach
    Vol. I - Psychophysiological Aspects of Reading and Learning,
    edited by Victor M. Rentel, Samuel A. Corson & Bruce R. Dunn)
    in which I found the R. Harter Kraft article (ASYMMETRICAL
    BRAIN SPECIALIZATION: PROPOSED RELATIONSHIP
    BETWEEN ITS DEVELOPMENT AND COGNITIVE BRAIN
    DEVELOPMENT, PP. 219-262), and figured that this fact
    indicated that he occupied a position of knowledge and expertise
    from which to evaluate my work.
    I intend to follow Dr. Dunn's recommendations in a future draft.