virus: the repuation system

From: Jake Sapiens (every1hz@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 02:55:13 MDT

    [Jake2] The following is excerpted from the "re: Enough is enough"
    thread, with my responses in regard to the reputation system inserted as
    "[Jake2]":

    [Jake Sapiens1]

    The reputation system is valuable in that it finally provides a collective
    standardized measure of the feedback of almost all of the central figures who
    have been involved in building Church of Virus.

    [metahuman1]

    No, the reputation is not valuable. There is absolutely no good reason to
    have such a system in place. As for "central figures", the Church of Virus
    originally rejected the idea of centralism. re: FAQ Is the CoV a cult?

    [Jake2] The reputation system ties into the voting mechanism to establish a
    way of easily and quickly identifying consensus within the community. I
    think it was a great idea for David to put such a thing in place. Indeed
    you obviously thought that it was a good enough idea as you voluntarily
    entered yourself into it. Now it appears you have changed your mind simply
    because you don't like the resulting evaluation that you have received.

    [Jake Sapiens]

    Whether or not Joe thinks it fair or not, one thing is certain, it does not
    lie. Another thing that does not lie is the list of the top 100
    posters. After you discover that Joe Dees is consistently rated dead
    last in the reputation system, then I encourage you to check out the top one
    hundred in posting volume. It doesn't lie either. Here you
    will note that not only does Joe spew more than anybody else, he does so by many
    orders of magnitude. I urge each of you to start with the number 2
    poster (Hermit) and start working your way down the list, adding each successive
    participants number of posts to the total. Now how long does it take
    for you to come up with a total that equals Joe's volume. I did this
    and discovered that Joe Dees' volume is more than the next 13 COMBINED!!! (sorry
    for the caps, but it simply couldn't be avoided. Now let's see who
    all is included in that 13. I will just limit this to people who have
    been around and are still around throughout most o!

    f the reign of Joe Dees. Others have left since, and still
    others or relatively newer. But just to put some personalities into
    the mix, . . . Hermit, myself, David, Kharin, Walter, and Bill Roh.

    [metahuman1]

    Irrelevant, irrelevant, irrelevant. Quite frankly, the post count of any
    single user is of no interest to me. Unlike Hermit, I do not give respect to
    those with high post counts nor do I see them as more important, more right, or
    generally better human beings. Any Virian, or rather, MetaVirian, would do the
    same.

    [Jake2] Before we had the reputation system, post count was the only
    tracking variable in CoV by which one could relatively evaluate
    the contributions of participants. The titles that people received were
    based on this. I agree with you that its relevance in this respect is
    questionable. The reputation system is much more relevant in that it
    measures not only a person's input, but also takes into account other people's
    evaluation of that person's input.

    [Jake Sapiens1]

    Joe feels himself so incredibly important, that apparently he thinks that
    he has more important things to say that all six of these people combined.

    [metahuman1]

    Apparently you like to bitch about the number of posts certain people make.
    Apparently Joe just likes to distribute information. That's certainly not a
    negative hit on him. . . .

    [Jake2] I'm sure many career spammers, junk mailers, and telephone
    solicitors think of themselves as simply distributing information also.

    [metahuman1] I enjoy his writings and I enjoy his presence. He's much
    more moderate than Hermit and would rather have people think for themselves than
    follow a dissolute leader.

    [Jake Sapiens1]

    We can even move afield from Church of the Virus and learn that
    Joe has also had to be moderated in other forums. The memetics list
    sponsored by the Journal of Memetics comes to mind, as well as at least one of
    the Extropy forums.

    [metahuman1]

    We can study my forum history as well. I've been banned from over 13
    forums, suspended from 5, disrespected in 24 to the extent where I had to leave,
    and had my permissions removed in the last year.

    [Jake2] Is this disclosure supposed to impress us? It
    certainly does nothing to persuade me that Joe should remain a member of this
    community. It does however explain to me why you seem to feel
    yourself in league with Joe, your constant kneejerk defense of him, and your
    flaming of anyone who criticizes his memebotic/spamming behavior, so thanks for
    sharing. Perhaps if you had shared this with us earlier I could have
    prophesied your results before you chose to join the CoV
    reputation system.

    Love,

    -Jake