virus: OK then, folks, let's ALL win one for the Gipper!!!!!!!

From: Walter Watts (wlwatts@cox.net)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 14:31:12 MDT

    <more Dennett, (whom I really respect)>

    Not so, says Dennett. Such a view confuses determinism and
    inevitability. Suppose I'm playing baseball and the pitcher chucks the
    ball directly at my face. I turn my head to avoid it. There was,
    therefore, nothing inevitable about the ball hitting my face. But, a
    sceptic might say, I turned my head not of my own free will but was
    caused to do so by factors byond my control. That is to misunderstand
    the nature of causation, Dennett retorts. What really caused me to turn
    my head was not a set of deterministic links cascading back to the
    beginnings of the universe - though that certainly exists - but my
    desire at that moment not to get hit by the baseball. At a different
    moment I might decide to take a hit in the face, if by doing so I help
    my team win the game.

    OK then, folks, let's ALL win one for the Gipper!!!!!!!

    How about winning one for ME SO I DON'T DIE?????

    Walter

    --
    Walter Watts
    Tulsa Network Solutions, Inc.