virus: flooding controls.

From: Jake Sapiens (every1hz@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 08:56:48 MDT

    Bill Roh has made some plea for moderation on politics. I however
    think that we have less of a problem in that department than he suspects or
    fears. I have witnessed several occasions when Bill has made political
    points generally contrary to the clear majority political opinion in the
    Church of the Virus, and whether or not I disagreed with him I did not feel nor
    react negatively towards him over it. I guess he just has a better
    capacity to communicate his opinion without causing such turmoil.

    I do like to see a variety of political opinions, and the Church of the
    Virus is big enough to handle dissenting points of view. So far Bill Roh,
    and Jonathan Davis have both represented their recent war positions
    fine without causing any of the problems that Joe did. It
    was Joe's behavior and not his political position that made discussing
    politics unbearable to the point that David had to ban political
    discussions from the public portions of the CoV.

    I would like to see Church of the Virus to once again become a place where
    we can handle political discussions without tearing down the temple. We
    have another major political season afoot in the United States in the next year,
    2004. One of the best ways that we can begin to have some real
    memetic/political influence is to figure out how we can do this in a more
    civilized manner. Perhaps we need to get some rules in place to avoid
    massive flooding, and obvious personal attacks. The recent actions taken
    by David have gone some way towards this, but we need some rules in this
    game.

    I'm personally adopting the eight post rule. If anyone sees me
    posting more than eight times in a twenty-four hour period to the BBS/Email
    list, please feel free to point this out either publicly or privately to
    me, whichever you find appropriate. I know that I have on a
    few occasions in the past posted more than eight times in a day, but I
    think I can abide by an eight post limit. Indeed I think it will probably
    get me to be a bit more careful how I express myself if I look at these
    communications between us as a limited resource.

    I am also asking other Virians to consider a posting limit. Any limit
    would be good (eight seems to be a popular one on the current poll on
    flooding). A limit would help remind everyone that public
    communications of this sort are not an unlimited unilateral right, but rather a
    shared and limited commodity of the community commons. By not having
    a stated limit we effectively lay out the welcome mat for the spammers and
    flooders of the world who view other's mailboxes and public forums as their
    unlimited resource.

    If you have voted against a posting limit on the CoV polling booth, I would
    ask that you would reconsider for the above stated reasons. If you still
    disagree with me, I would appreciate having an open discussion about
    it.

    Sincerely,

    -Jake

    --- Jake Sapiens