Re:virus: flooding controls.

From: Hermit (virus@hermit.net)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 09:39:54 MDT

    I have voted against a limit.

    We are engaged in defining both an appropriate "management system" to deal with various issues within the CoV and a technical update to the facilities. I feel that this issue would be best dealt with by the management comittee and appropriate technical/social interventions.

    Something that is immediately clear is that this is yet another area where discretion is vastly better than hard and fast rules. Certainly when the board is busy, three posts from one member on a less than popular topic might be two too many. Yet 30 posts on various subjects from somebody hard at work arranging scientific material covering either disparate or related issues might not be too much. Again, when discussions are flowing and ideas moving backwards and forwards a number of posts may be appropriate (although I'd argue that such discussions might be better held on IRC).

    So my recommendation is no rules at all until the "reputable" determine a need for it, at which point a word with the poster should be all that is required if the one change I would advocate is in place, and that is that I would insert some reasonable delay between making a post and it being transmitted to the list (although it should be visible on the BBS). This would allow time to edit it, or even delete it, before it is sent. It also would reduce the "posting volleys" which tend to cause many of the upsets. My suggestion is a 3 to 6 hour delay between posting to the BBS (whether on the BBS or via mail) and distribution of the post to the maillist.

    Regards

    Hermit

    ----
    This message was posted by Hermit to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29138>