RE: virus: Appeal for advice

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 12:03:16 MDT

    [Blunderov]
    I have been getting a lot of mail returned to me as undeliverable. The trouble is I never sent out the mail which is being returned to me. Some mail is entitled 'that movie', a title which I have never used, some is entitled 'my details' which IS a title I have used sometimes in my former scambaiting activities.

    <snip>

    [rhinoceros]
    No need to worry, Blunderov. We all receive them these days.

    Someone who had your e-mail address in their address book was infected by a virus. Then the virus started sending out infected e-mails to addresses it found there, using your own address, which was also found there, as a return address ("From:") .

    Some of these emails were sent to addresses which were no longer valid. So, those messages were "returned" to you as undelivered, because they appeared as sent by you.

    And don't worry about looking bad. One can easily see in the headers that the "From:" address was not really the address from which they were sent from.

    If you are still curious about the route this message followed, you can follow the "Received from" "by" lines, starting from the last one and going upwards. Keep in mind that some of the bottom "Received from" "by" lines can also be fake.

    ----
    This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29195>