Re:virus: Abuse of power or playful bickering?

From: Hermit (virus@hermit.net)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 20:05:04 MDT

    [KidA] Personally I have no real objection to that, in law you cannot use past offences to mount up evidence as it is not totally relevent to the case in question, if it is not allowed in a court of law then should it be allowed here?

    [Hermit] In a (US) court, evidence of anything not on the charge sheet is bared, including all past offenses or alleged offenses, until judgement is rendered. At that point evidence of past offenses is usually taken into account for sentencing. But we are not a court of law. We are a church. Trying very hard to avoid getting involved in public disagreements as they lead to list flooding, drive members off, and damage our reputation.

    [Hermit] Like most churches, our first interest is supporting our membership, our second in maintaing our reputation. Notice that justice doesn't come into this, except in so far as it is considered by the people involved - whom we give wide lattitude to in order to be fair to everyone involved, not just the particular parties to a particualer dispute. So it would be at the discretion of the reconciliation committee first, and if it reached a point where it went before a disciplinary committe, then theirs.

    Regards

    Hermit

    ----
    This message was posted by Hermit to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29203>