RE: virus: Why do so many scientists believe in God?

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Tue Sep 09 2003 - 13:44:40 MDT

    OK Jonathan - you've got me going again. Here at least we find some
    definitions of this 'god' thing:

    "But I just think there is another world view as well." > Colin
    Humphreys

    [Bl.]Colin Humphreys is free to think whatever he pleases. Whether he
    can demonstrate any reasonable basis, other than his own preference, for
    this fantasy is, of course, highly improbable.

    "a Creator" Russell Stannard
    [Bl.]Said it before. Say it again. Nothing from nothing. Therefore no
    creator possible.

    "God is the God of chance and He had His plan and purpose, which is
    working out very subtly, but through these chance events." Colin
    Humphreys.
    [Bl.]Planned chance? Moving on...

    I would say that God does take a personal interest in us. If you were
    allowed one word to describe God by, that word would be love. Stannard

    [Bl.]Aha! The semantic Mesada of theists, the last redoubt. Of course,
    if god is love then god might reasonably be said to exist. Oddly, this
    god of love that takes a personal interest in us seems to leave a lot of
    'bones in the wake' (Tom Waits). Why does this love find it necessary to
    create so many victims? Are we to take it that, say, cancer, is evidence
    of this love? Or war? Or evil in general? If so, then this must be some
    strange new usage of the word love with which I am not familiar. The
    theist retort is usually that it doesn't matter because all good people
    go to heaven anyway. So this love doesn't always look like love right
    now but it all works out ok in the end. Snake-oil is what I say. I'd
    rather buy time-share holidays.

    Ironically, in the film "Contact", the Jodie Foster character (atheist)
    is (supposedly) refuted by her religious lover when she asks him how he
    can prove that god exists. He replies "Did you love your father?" She
    replies "yes". He retorts "Prove it". At which she is speechless.

    The import of this is, I gather, is that some things are intrinsically
    un-provable. It is my view that she could have made a strong case for
    her 'love' based on an appropriate definition of 'love', her own
    observable behavior at the time and her own report of her subjective
    state. Perhaps it would not amount to proof, but it certainly would
    amount at least to a credible body of evidence for the proposition,
    which is more than can be said for the theistic case.

    Interesting that theists (so often) resort to this 'proof' of god (the
    existence of love) and then (so often) deny their own proof by claiming
    it be un-provable. I believe this is what is known technically as
    'having your cake and eating it'. At bottom, though, this definition of
    god is specious: one might as well say that god is a baby's smile, or
    for that matter, a full bottle of whiskey and a starry night.

    Fact is, everybody (well, mostly) dislikes the idea of dying and many
    people leap at the chance, however slim, that it might not actually
    happen to them like a trout leaps at a fly. With similar results.

    Fond Regards
    Blunderov