RE: virus: Why do so many scientists believe in God?

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 14:26:38 MDT

    > [Blunderov]
    > [snip]
    > Fact is, everybody (well, mostly) dislikes the idea of dying and many
    > people leap at the chance, however slim, that it might not actually
    > happen to them like a trout leaps at a fly. With similar results.
    >
    > [Kalkor]
    > Very well put! I've always had a problem with Pascal's Wager, since
    it's
    > the
    > only argument my father could come up with when the subject of
    religion
    > reared its ugly head around the dinner table...

    [Bl.]Thank you. The problem that I have with Pascal's Wager is that it
    presumes that one can choose what to believe. I seriously doubt whether
    this is possible. One is persuaded. One is convinced. Or one is not
    sure.

    The Red Queen might find it possible to believe sixteen impossible
    things before breakfast but I feel reasonably certain that most people
    would find even one beyond their capacity.

    Fond Regards
    Blunderov