RE: virus: how many e-mails has the Sobig.F. worm released?

From: Kalkor (kalkor@kalkor.com)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 15:36:29 MDT

    [DrSebby]
    ...what exactly does the Sobig virus do? i did a virus scan a day ago or
    so...came up with a few copies of some harmless spyware, which i
    cleaned...and now today, i woke up to find the bootup screen on my computer,
    but with a long number with dashes in between at the bottom...like a serial
    # of sorts. anyways, i dont give it much thought and assume my computer
    crashed during the night somehow. i reboot it...and nothing! the fan goes
    on,....and it therefore sounds like it's running...but no form of actual
    life can be detected from the processor!??? the monitor displays
    nothing...in fact it doesnt even turn on from it's self-imposed standby
    mode...which happens when nothing is coming from the processor of course.
    any ideas?

    [Kalkor]
    I don't think Sobig.F is destructive in that way. The long number with
    dashes you described sounds almost like a BIOS version number? If you say it
    showed up during the bootup screen... Above that, was there a place where it
    had tested ram or autodetected any of your IDE devices? Maybe even an energy
    star logo in the upper right?

    When you reboot, do you get spinup from the HDD? Does the floppy light come
    on? You say the fans start up but the monitor doesn't come on... display
    card problems? Do you hear any beeps? If you put a floppy in the drive and
    turn it on, does it try to read the floppy? Might need some more
    troubleshooting, but any of those symptoms should help narrow it down a bit
    ;-}

    Good luck dood!

    Kalkor