Re:virus: The Ideohazard 1.1

From: Kharin (kharin@kharin.com)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 06:24:01 MDT

    "Whilst most nations would not expect to be unconditionally loved, neither would they expect to be reflexively hated. "

    Then they must be singularly naive. On the whole, I am inclined to agree with Niall Ferguson that the US has effectively become an imperial power but is reluctant to accept the full philosophical implications of that, one of which happens to be that imperial powers are not generally well liked. That is an occupational hazard and one I doubt that too many previous Empires concerned themselves with.

    "Anti-Americanism is simply an abstraction of being anti-American . It means what it says. "

    Well, what does it mean or say? Since I have heard the term reflexively used to cover anything from European dislike of American popular culture to Asian dislike of American business practises one is left suspecting the term to be devoid of content.

    ----
    This message was posted by Kharin to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29259>