virus: Re:Virian Fitness Boot Camp

From: Casey (cmanisca@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 16:42:16 MDT

    [Blunderov]
    I take it orally in the form of little tobacco bags known as 'Svenskt Snus'.

    [Casey]
    Hey, Blunderov! Snus is something I haven't heard of in a couple of years; since my
    trip to Sweden, at least. I'd have to agree that using 'snus' over the course of a week
    sidelined my own smoking habit. Unfortunately, or fortunately (depending on your pov), it is not sold in the US. In fact, I think it's illegal. Anyway, your post brought me back to Sweden for a few minutes.

    Kalkor, I've been experimenting with smoking cessation for a while now. I was speaking with a friend of mine and she recommended that I rate each cigarette from 1-3. For example, I enjoy a cigarette with my coffee, so that would be ranked a 3. The same could be applied to my after-dinner cigarette. A cigarette with a rank of 2 might be one in which you smoke when you feel stressed out for whatever reason. A cigarette with a rank of 1 would be the cigarettes you smoke when you are idle and bored. The ranking scheme is dependent upon you and falls entirely within your judgement. Apply the rankings as you see fit, in other words.

    After a week of using this rating system you can decide to eliminate all cigarettes that you've ranked as 1's. Replace the cigarette with something else, ie. a big glass of water, chewing gum or a brief walk outside (anything that may help curtail your craving). Then, apply the same methodology to cigarettes you've ranked as 2's, and then finally to cigs ranked as 3's. Granted these will be tough times. But, when you apply a rank to each cig you do get a better idea of which cigs you truly enjoy, as opposed to those that you feel compelled to smoke because of it's addictive properties.

    I've discovered that 1/2 of the cigs I smoke are 1's. Thus, my smoking has been reduced to ~1/2 pack/day. Granted, there'll be times when you might falter; but, don't let that dissuade you from going back on the plan. Remember, just because you quit doesn't mean that you've kicked the habit. The habit remains with you. It's up to you and any other ex-smoker to continually apply maintenance to your non-smoking habit.

    Good luck!
    Casey

    ----
    This message was posted by Casey to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29265>