RE: virus: Virian Fitness Boot Camp

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 15:01:10 MDT

    > [Kalkor]

    [Bl.]
    <snip>
    > Also, would anyone out there like to suggest strategies, tactics,
    > shortcuts,
    > and helpful hints to quitting? I know that what it really comes down
    to is
    > willpower of sorts, but any help helps ;-}
    </snip>

    I haven't smoked a cigarette in two years - this from being a two packs
    a day man. I am however still addicted to nicotine. I take it orally in
    the form of little tobacco bags known as 'Svenskt Snus'. I graduated (?)
    to these from the Nicorette chewing gum. (The Patches also work,
    especially at first) So I am halfway towards ridding myself of an
    addiction. Already this has been VERY beneficial to my lungs.

    I think nicotine replacement therapy is very helpful. Essentially, you
    are probably battling two simultaneous addictions; the physical
    addiction to the nicotine and the psychological addiction. The action of
    smoking becomes incorporated into one's mannerisms and routines. I used
    to punctuate my life with cigarettes. For instance, before undertaking a
    new task, it would first be necessary for me to gather myself with a
    cigarette. The action of smoking became a ritual that was associated
    with many activities. It is necessary vanquish this mindset. I think
    this is the first step to take. Once you have done so, the rest is
    simpler.

    Possibly the most important factor is having a positive reason for
    ditching the fags. You should try to take the view that it is not an
    onerous necessity but a positive freedom that you are embracing.

    Hope that helps.

    Hmm. Maybe I should use boot camp to administer the coup de grace to my
    own addiction. And lose some weight too!

    Best Regards
    Blunderov