RE: virus: The Ideohazard 1.1

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Thu Sep 18 2003 - 05:28:31 MDT

    The
    > war against Iraq was undertaken in spite of the fact that it was/is
    > against international law as embodied in the UN Charter to which the
    USA >is a signatory. The USA, at the time, went so far as to say that
    the UN was
    > irrelevant.
    >
    > [Jonathan 2] The war was not and in a way the UN is.

    [Blunderov3] So you concur that the US has ('in a way') a 'lack of
    respect or reverence for' the UN? This definition, as I am sure you have
    guessed, is a very serviceable one for the word 'contempt' if
    Merriam-Webster is to be believed. I feel, under the circumstances,
    quite justified in characterizing the US, as 'manifestly contemptuous'.
    Apparently you do too, 'in a way'.

    Also to be considered is
    http://www.un.org/aboutun/charter/

    Without, I confess, having read the whole document, I feel compelled to
    recommend to you the preamble which states, amongst other things that:

    <q>
    WE THE PEOPLES OF THE UNITED NATIONS DETERMINED
     to save succeeding generations from the scourge of war, which twice in
    our lifetime has brought untold sorrow to mankind, and
     to reaffirm faith in fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth
    of the human person, in the equal rights of men and women and of nations
    large and small, and...

     AND FOR THESE ENDS...

     to unite our strength to maintain international peace and security, and

     to ensure, by the acceptance of principles and the institution of
    methods, that armed force shall not be used, save in the common
    interest,
    </q>

    [Bl.]
    It is clear (to me at any rate) that the US trampled rough shod over
    these ideals. The US made it plain that it considered its own interests
    to take precedence to the common interest. 'You are with us or against
    us' is the vapid jingle that bleated from the White House. Quite apart
    from the extremely dubious logic of the slogan, it seems to me to run
    directly counter to the grain of the UN Charter which is, as far as I
    can tell, that of consultation, consensus and compromise. There was NO
    Security Council resolution empowering the US (or anyone else) to attack
    Iraq. Therefore any such attack was and is, by definition, illegal
    according to international law. The fact that the US actively sought,
    and obtained such a resolution in 1991 and did not seek, or obtain, such
    a resolution in 2003 speaks not only for itself, but also for the
    justification of assertion. Clearly the US is a rather fair-weather
    friend to the community of nations that the UN represents.

    > [Blunderlov 2] The fact that no WOMD have been, or ever will be,
    found,
    > has done nothing to ameliorate this massively contemptuous behavior
    and >has in fact served only to emphasise it's arrogance.

    > [Jonathan 2] The fact that no WMD have yet been found is neither here
    nor
    > there. There was sufficient good reason to suspect their existence
    (and in
    > my opinion the war was justified for overthrowing Saddam alone).
    Saddam
    > certainly had them and used them, that he destroyed them prior to the
    > invasion (or more likely smuggled them to Jordan) does not have any
    > bearing on the fact that the reasons for war were (need I insert this,
    in >my opinion and the US President's) sound.

    [[Blunderov 3] I dispute that there was good, or even any, reason to
    suspect their existence. (Had there been I have little doubt that the
    Security Council, including even the French, would have been able to
    recognize it.)There was, in fact, overwhelming evidence to the contrary,
    Powell's Krushevian theatrics in the Security Council notwithstanding.

    On the other hand there is clear evidence, which is now a matter of
    public record, that both Bush and Blair, as and when expediency served,
    either fabricated or distorted intelligence to support this lie, and/or
    ignored any intelligence that tended to militate against their
    predetermined agenda of attacking Iraq. (I recall that is a matter of
    public record that Rumsfeld said to Bush, at a meeting about Afghanistan
    that 'They might as well get Iraq as well'. Everything that followed was
    pure 'wag the dog'. The fact that NO weapons of mass destruction, nor
    even any traces thereof, have been or will be found proves that not only
    was the US wrong in law, it was also wrong in fact.

    It also goes along way towards showing that there are very good reasons
    for the international law to be maintained exactly as it is, uninfected
    by the toxic 'pre-emptive self-defence' oxymoron. All of which suggests
    that your confidence in the US Presidents judgment seems to have been
    sorely misplaced.

    When you say that 'the war was justified for overthrowing Saddam alone',
    what you mean by 'justified' is not quite clear to me. Possibly you
    could direct me to section of the United Nations Charter that would
    clarify this?

    Unless, of course, what you have in mind is some sort of moral
    imperative? In which case I would be interested to know how just how far
    you think this should be taken - is, would you say, the US morally bound
    to forcibly eliminate every single leader of any country that is, or
    might become, objectionable to either the US or to it's own citizens?

    I think the speculation that WOMD were smuggled to Jordan is about as
    likely as someone saying 'Quick let me hold that reeking joint for you,
    the police are here!'

    > [Blunderlov 2] The fact that the USA has seen fit to create and
    implement
    > a doctrine of pre-emptive self defence, which is not only against
    reason
    > (the tu quoque fallacy) but also a complete repudiation of the most >
    > >fundamental tenets international law, is, I would say, contemptuous
    of the >community of nations.

    > [Jonathan 2] Of course USA reserves the right to act pre-emptively in
    > self-defence. All self-defence necessarily contains pre-emption. Does
    one
    > defend oneself before or after the robber has shot one? pre-emptive
    > actions
    > are designed (or have the power) to deter or prevent an anticipated
    > situation or occurrence. In the age of international terrorism this is
    > simple self-preservation. Over time this will become a staple of
    > international law and in 50 years our grandchildren will depose
    > governments
    > who violate international law and the law of self-preservation by not
    > defending their citizens by acting against clear threats that mature
    into
    > harm.

    [[Blunderov 3] In order to' act pre-emptively in self-defence' it is
    necessary that there be at least a threat of attack. There was none. The
    only threat that existed was a wag-the-dog lie designed to stampede the
    electorate. Now Bush now tries to pretend that the Iraq war was really
    about 'The War on Terror' hoping that everyone will forget that it's
    original urgent necessity was justified in terms of the existence of
    WOMD, which, (did I mention?) have not and never will be found. The
    threat was faked. Spurious. Not-genuine. A counterfeit. Of no value.
    And Bush knew it. How long will you go on believing this liar?

    Furthermore, this argument is, in any case, nothing more than a sly
    variation of the fallacy 'argumentum ad baculum' aka Appeal to Force: (
    A sub-variation of the Appeal to Emotion)

    Explanation: (Courtesy About.com)
    <q>
    The Latin term "argumentum ad baculum" literally means "argument to the
    stick" - this fallacy makes an implict or explicit threat of physical or
    psychological violence against others if they refuse to accept the
    conclusions offered. You can think of it as having this form:
    1. Some threat of violence is made or implied. Therefore, conclusion C
    should be accepted.
    It would be highly unusual for such a threat to be logically relevant to
    the conclusion, or for the truth-value of a conclusion to be made any
    more likely by such threats...</q>

    > [Blunderlov 2] The (continuing) incarceration of prisoners at
    Guantanemo
    > Bay is a violation of so many articles of the Geneva Convention, to
    which >the USA is signatory, that it is difficult to count them all.

    > [Jonathan 2] Guantanemo works beautifully. The legalities of it are
    still
    > being worked out, but in the meantime it is a valuable tool in the
    > psychological war against Islamic terror.

    [Blunderov 3] I don't know that I would personally have chosen the
    adjective 'beautifully' - I am not amongst those who find systematic
    torture an aesthetically appealing concept but then I am rather a
    sensitive blossom. Be that as it may, and notwithstanding how effective
    Guantanemo Bay may or may not be, it is completely illegal according to
    the Geneva convention which states quite explicitly that when there is
    any doubt about the precise status of any combatants, or indeed, anyone
    at all, these persons are to be treated exactly according to the
    provisions set down for ordinary prisoners-of-war until such time as an
    appropriate tribunal can be convened to make a further determination.

    The United States military, or its agents, is NOT an appropriate
    tribunal; the US is a combatant. The Geneva Convention makes no
    exceptions with regard to 'valuable tools'. The Convention makes no
    mention of the end justifying the means, nor does it state that two
    wrongs will now be reckoned equal to a right.

    There are no 'legalities to be worked out' - they have already been
    concluded and the US signed on the dotted line. I am not aware that the
    Geneva Convention contains any retroactively applicable unilateral
    variance clauses to be decided and implemented at the discretion of the
    USA at any time and place of its choosing. Guantanemo Bay is a blatant
    war crime. This is a 24 karat fact. I defy you, or anyone, to
    demonstrate otherwise. In furtherance of my assertion I offer the
    following:

    http://www.multimedia-star-one.co.uk/peaceactions/guantanemo.asp

    > [Blunderlov 2] This goes beyond contemptuous and is simply evil.
    >
    > [Jonathan 2] My chief problem with Hermit - who like you I consider a
    > fellow and friend - and now you, is that you limn the United States
    with > >terms like "Evil" or "Uncivilized" or "Contemptuous". I reject
    this >characterization.
    > Compared against a proper benchmark (not an ideal) the USA is
    greatest,
    > fairest, most free, and just countries on earth. Its people are
    > enormously generous, it has protected Europe for a generation and
    utterly >defeated two of the most murderous ideologies in all humanity
    (Communism >and Nazism).All great nations do some harm, but it most be
    seen in the >context of history and circumstances.

    [Blunderov 3] Limn. Nice word but why limn me with limning? I said
    Guantanemo bay is evil, not that the USA is generally evil. I have shown
    that the US is, as represented by its current officials, contemptuous of
    the community of nations. ('Uncivilised' is not one of mine is it? I
    don't recall saying this anyway.)

    Without wishing to quibble, I think it is worth pointing out that
    communism, as an ideology, is, although not as vigorous as it once was,
    very far from dead. Thankfully the same cannot be said of Nazism. And
    yes, the people of the USA are, for the most part, a generous and
    vibrant nation. And yes, the USA has done much that is good in the
    world. There is much to be admired in and about the United States. But
    in recent times, it seems to me, she is doing far more harm that good in
    the world. I will return to your point about the context and
    circumstances of history at a later point if you will bear with me.

    > [Blunderlov 2] I hope I live to see the day when Rumsfeld et al pay
    the
    > penalty applicable to these despicable war crimes. (Under the
    > circumstances,
    > it is hardly surprising that the USA prefers not to support the
    > establishment of a permanent International War Crimes Court. There is,
    as
    > they say, nothing like the threat of execution to enhance the
    > concentration.) Then of course, there is depleted uranium munitions
    etc,
    > etc.
    >
    > [Jonathan 2] "Despicable war crimes" LOL! Easy on the purple prose.
    What
    > superlative do you use to describe those other war crimes, you know,
    the
    > real ones where SS machine gun villagers into pits and stuff?

    [Blunderov 3] The phrase 'Torture Lite' makes for an interesting google.
    I suggest to you that torture is indeed a 'real' war crime. So is
    murder.
    <q>
    Independent [b](via Agonist): Terror suspects at Bagram airbase in
    Afghanistan and elsewhere subjected to "duress" that has resulted in the
    death of two prisoners so far.
    </q>

    Strange that you should mention machine guns and pits; may I bring the
    following to your attention?

    http://www.multimedia-star-one.co.uk/peaceactions/guantanemo.asp

    <q>
    As Jamie Doran's film Afghan Massacre: Convoy of Death records, some
    hundreds, possibly thousands, of them were loaded into container lorries
    at Qala-i-Zeini, near the town of Mazar-i-Sharif, on November 26 and 27.
    The doors were sealed and the lorries were left to stand in the sun for
    several days. At length, they departed for Sheberghan prison, 80 miles
    away. The prisoners, many of whom were dying of thirst and asphyxiation,
    started banging on the sides of the trucks. Dostum's men stopped the
    convoy and machine-gunned the containers. When they arrived at
    Sheberghan, most of the captives were dead.

    The US special forces running the prison watched the bodies being
    unloaded. They instructed Dostum's men to "get rid of them before
    satellite pictures can be taken". Doran interviewed a Northern Alliance
    soldier guarding the prison. "I was a witness when an American soldier
    broke one prisoner's neck. The Americans did whatever they wanted. We
    had no power to stop them." Another soldier alleged: "They took the
    prisoners outside and beat them up, and then returned them to the
    prison. But sometimes they were never returned, and they disappeared."

    Many of the survivors were loaded back in the containers with the
    corpses, then driven to a place in the desert called Dasht-i-Leili. In
    the presence of up to 40 US special forces, the living and the dead were
    dumped into ditches. Anyone who moved was shot. The German newspaper Die
    Zeit investigated the claims and concluded that: "No one doubted that
    the Americans had taken part. Even at higher levels there are no doubts
    on this issue." The US group Physicians for Human Rights visited the
    places identified by Doran's witnesses and found they "all... contained
    human remains consistent with their designation as possible grave
    sites".
    </q>

    > [Blunderlov 2] That it signs free trade agreements and then doesn't
    > hesitate to repudiate them when expediency serves also seems to me to
    be >massively contemptuous. This is nothing short of saying 'Our
    interests are >far more important than your piffling little concerns".

    > [Jonathan 2] Dead right! Are you seriously asking that the USA, in a
    > hostile world jockeying to hurt it, grab advantage and support
    > self-interest, must act against its self-interest? Agreements can be
    > called off at any time. By doing so I simply say "I no longer agree
    about >this issue, the agreement does not suite me so it is void". There
    is >nothing contemptuous about this, it is as simple expression of fact
    or >opinion> weighted with action. When compatibility of observations
    is no >longer a reality, or the conditions of a promise no longer
    supported, one >is entitled to call it off.

    [Blunderov 3] Are you saying that if, for instance, you and I were to
    make an arrangement to meet for coffee somewhere and I failed to turn up
    because I decided that I would prefer to spend the time doing something
    else more interesting, that would be just fine by you?

    Sadly, you attitude is shared by many. I don't know how it is in the US,
    but here hardly any businesses are willing to accept cheques any more
    because so many are not met. Call me old fashioned, but to me a promise
    is a lot like a cheque; not lightly bounced. If doing so in the
    commercial world is called fraud, why should it be called anything else
    in the business of nations?

    > [Blunderlov 2] I seem to recall some business just recently where the
    US
    > Steel industry was afforded a subsidy by the US government in direct
    > contravention of an agreement with the EEU. I also recall some
    business
    > where Mexican milk was consistently turned back at the border because
    it
    > failed to come up to scratch in terms of quality. Oddly, the same fate
    > befell American milk when it was exported to Mexico and then
    re-imported
    > America.
    >
    > [Jonathan 2] Yes, people experience this problem with the Chinese,
    > Japanese and EU too. Even within trading block, there is cheating and
    >stretching the rules to accommodate unfair advantage (see EU rows over
    >fishing, farm subsidies and chocolates). I say let it play out, balance
    >comes eventually.

    [Blunderov 3] OK. So you don't really mind that the Chinese steal your
    technology and counterfeit your software. Gotcha.

    > [Blunderlov 2] I dispute your statement "If an agreement disadvantages
    > you, you are entitled to void the agreement..." This is quite simply
    >dishonest and is no different from stealing.
    >
    > [Jonathan 2] Dispute it if you like, but it is axiomatically true. I
    can
    > honestly and openly announce that circumstances in which I made an
    > agreement have changed so I no longer wish to participate in the
    >agreement.

    [Blunderov 3] If it is part of the agreement that you may withdraw at
    any time that it suits you, then fine. If not, then it's dishonest.

    > [Blunderlov 2] You might as well say if somebody has something that
    you
    > want, you are entitled to take it if it is to your disadvantage not to
    > have it.
    >
    > [Jonathan 2] I am surprised to see you Brother B furiously attacking a
    > straw man. Please explain how you arrived at "you are entitled to take
    it > if it is to your disadvantage not to have it" from "If an agreement

    > disadvantages you, you are entitled to void the agreement". The right
    to > > void underlies every contact and agreement.

    [Blunderov 3] In chess there is an expression ' A man that would take
    back a move would pick a pocket'. But OK. Conceded. Possibly this is
    this is a straw man. I offer you, as a replacement, the following one
    instead:

    <q>
    'Strawman' by Lou Reed from the Album 'New York'

    http://www.geocities.com/Paris/LeftBank/2800/lou.html

    (Lou Reed, according to Bob Ezrin, is "the most underrated contemporary
    poet in America ". From " Heroin " in 1965 to today's " Perfect Night ",
    thirty years passed, but Lou is still the avant-garde before the times,
    and still in his black suit .)

    [Bl.] (Not too sure that I entirely agree with either the grammar or the
    hyperbole of the above glowing assessment; but Lou Reed does write some
    interesting lyrics and also plays some kickass rock guitar.)

    <q>
    Strawman Lyrics:
    We who have so much to you who have so little
    To you who don't have anything at all
    We who have so much more than any one man does need
    And you who don't have anything at all, ah
    Does anybody need another million dollar movie
    Does anybody need another million dollar star
    Does anybody need to be told over and over
    Spitting in the wind comes back at you twice as hard

    Strawman, going straight to the devil
    Strawman, going straight to hell
    Strawman, going straight to the devil

    Strawman
    Strawman
    Strawman
    Strawman, yes

    Does anyone really need a billion dollar rocket
    Does anyone need a 60,000 dollars car
    Does anyone need another president
    Or the sins of Swaggart parts 6, 7, 8 and 9, ah
    Does anyone need yet another politician
    Caught with his pants down and money sticking in his hole
    Does anyone need another racist preacher
    Spittin' in the wind can only do you harm, ooohhh

    Strawman, going straight to the devil
    Strawman, going straight to hell
    Strawman, going straight to the devil

    Strawman
    Strawman
    Strawman
    Strawman

    Does anyone need another faulty shuttle
    Blasting off to the moon, venus or mars
    Does anybody need another self-righteous rock singer
    Whose nose he says has led him straight to god
    Does anyone need yet another blank skyscraper
    If you're like me I'm sure a minor miracle will do
    A flaming sword or maybe a gold ark floating up the hudson
    When you spit in the wind it comes right back at you

    Strawman, going straight to the devil
    Strawman, going straight to hell
    Strawman, going to the devil

    Strawman, strawman
    Strawman, ...., ah
    Strawman
    Strawman
    </q>

    Whilst we're on the subject of straw men, it strikes me that Saddam
    Hussein is an outstanding example of the species. I have read that
    something like 53% of Americans believe that he had something to do with
    9/11. This in spite of the fact that, like WOMD, (Did I mention this
    before?) no evidence to this effect has been, or ever will be, found.
    This was made abundantly clear to both Bush and Blair by both their
    intelligence services. Of course they chose to ignore it.

    > [Blunderlov 2] Is this the same Jonathan Davis that was plainting
    about
    > the Chinese proclivity for stealing technology and disregarding
    [[Bl.]] > >intellectual property rights?

    > [Jonathan 2] I am Jonathan Davis and I have recently broached the
    Chinese
    > proclivity for stealing technology and intellectual property.

    [Blunderov 3] Just checking. The Rhinoceros' post about multiple
    personality disorder must have wandered unbidden into periphery of my
    thoughts during an unguarded moment.

    > [Blunderlov 2] It is my view that commitment is the heart of any
    > relationship. To dismiss a commitment is to dismiss the relationship
    as
    > unimportant. This is contemptuous.
    >
    > [Jonathan 2] What commitment? Voiding an agreement is not dismissing a
    > commitment to say fair dealing or respect. It simply means that a
    party
    > chooses to no longer participate in an agreement. Thus I or a nation
    might
    > say that it no longer agrees with a decision or arrangement. Its
    reasons
    > may be sound or faulty, but it is fully entitled to do so and it does
    not
    > necessarily imply contempt. There are many vestigial agreements,
    treaties,
    > pacts and truces that range from useless to downright damaging for all
    > participating parties. If America chose to withdraw from NATO
    tomorrow
    > would you be outraged by the contempt of it? If it chose to stop
    making
    > aid payments to Israel, would you rage at the unilateralist bastards?
    If >the USA chose to void all agreements developing world countries had
    with it >in terms of paying back their debts, would you declare such
    breach of >agreement utter contemptuous, nay EVIL Yankee lone wolfer.

    > Well?

    [Blunderov 3] Speaking for myself, I would have no problems with it
    although I still think that such actions would be contemptuous. I think
    it entirely possible that both NATO and Israel would squeak about it
    quite a lot though. With regard to the developing-world debt, I cannot
    imagine that such a step would be anything other than welcome to it.

    Here, for once, I can say that I thoroughly approve of the USA reducing
    the amount of its loan guarantee ($9 bl) to Israel by the exact amount
    that Israel spends on illegal construction in Palestinian areas. An
    admirable step in the right direction. I hope there are more to follow.

    > [Blunderlov 2] I do not dispute the right to renegotiate if the other
    > party is willing to do so, but if the other party is not willing to do
    so >then, I am sorry to say, it is just tough titty.

    > [Jonathan 2] This is incorrect. In a binding agreement you may have
    > duties, but not in elective treaty participation. That is why
    countries > >can and do withdraw. They simply say, "We do not to agree
    with you on >this", hence no agreement. Similarly, "We no longer agree
    with you, whereas >one we did, so we withdraw".

    [Blunderov 3]Cash only from now on please.

    > [Blunderlov 2] I think I have provided enough examples, just from my
    own
    > immediate knowledge, to demonstrate that my assertion is reasonably
    true -
    > the USA holds the community of nations in manifest contempt. I have no
    > doubt
    > that if I was to engage in a little research I could provide a myriad
    > more.
    >
    > [Jonathan 2] I am sorry to report that I disagree with your
    conclusions.
    > I think the opposite is true, that the United States - given its
    > overwhelming superiority - is a marvel of consideration, and
    diplomatic >restraint. Here is nation that could, if it chose, really
    brush aside >anyone. It chooses to remain within the system, largely
    agreeing to >restraints it could easily break and destroy, rules that do
    not serve it >well and obeying the authority of hostile an corrupt
    institutions for the >sake of international order. Its transgressions
    are minor, it acts no more >selfishly than any other nation and
    considering its de facto power we ought >to be careful it grateful it
    chooses to comply at all.

    [Blunderov 3] We should all be grateful that the US doesn't (always)
    behave like the Nazis and Communists it so morally overthrew? For this
    reason we should consider it a marvel of restraint? Seems to me this is
    'damning with faint praise' indeed!

    > [Blunderlov 2] As far as I can tell, the US chooses 'diplomacy and
    > consensus' as a preliminary and then only when these routes offer some
    > reasonable prospect of success. If and when this is not the case she
    just
    > does whatever she wants anyway. I would be most interested in any
    recent
    > examples you could provide where this was not the case. I cannot, at
    the
    > moment, think of any myself.
    >
    > [Jonathan 2] Kosovo and Liberia.

    [Blunderov 3]OK. The US does sometimes act altruistically and for the
    greater good of the community of nations. But, IMO, it is, at the
    moment, doing far more harm than good in the world.

    > [Blunderlov 2] It is my view that the second biggest curse of mankind
    is
    > nationalism. The first is, of course, the theistic religions.
    (Buddhists
    > will be spared the ire of Blunderov you will all doubtless be relieved
    > know) Often they are the same thing. But not always. Possibilities for
    > future discussion?
    >
    > [Jonathan 2] Brother Blunderlov this was an excellent post of yours.
    > Thanks.
    > I am particularly gratified to see us come back to what we agree on
    > forcefully. Can I recommend you look into a book called "The New
    > Barbarians"
    > by Ian Angel

    (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0749435054/202-6883905-2633466
    ).

    [Blunderov 3]I will be sure to do so at the first opportunity. Thank you
    for the recommendation.

    > He argues persuasively that people like us (the CoV) are the new
    > barbarians
    > primed to benefit and feed on the benighted who will cling to
    ethnicity,
    > nationalism, religion and socialism.
    >
    > Finally, did you know the Buddhists were a violent oppressor religion
    who
    > displaced and nearly wiped out their nearest competitor faith - the
    Bon of
    > Tibet? File them with the rest. That said, I have recently taken up
    yoga
    > and despite myself I am thoroughly loving it.
    >
    > Kind regards
    >
    > Jonathan

    Thank you too, brother Jonathan, for you courteous reply. I was once
    aware of the warlike nature of early Buddhism in Tibet but thank you for
    drawing it to my attention again; I had forgotten it. I suppose I am
    inclined to be more in favour of Buddhism than not because they consider
    it a duty to sincerely try to understand the nature of the universe. As
    for yoga, I discovered quite early in life that I was not sufficiently
    supple to attempt it. Pity, but there it is.

    Finally, to address your point about judging a nation within its
    historical context, I think I can agree. A political analyst that I
    spoke to told me that, in his view, the USA felt that it had to be seen
    to be kicking butt after 9/11 and it didn't very much matter whose butt
    it was.

    To me, it is understandable that the US, so to speak, lost its temper
    after 9/11. But as Virians do we not prefer reason to rage? And, because
    rage begets violence, should we not argue for a return to reason as soon
    as may be? And is dressing rage in the robes of reason helpful to this
    end?

    Respectfully, Brother Jonathan, I suggest that it is not.

    Best Regards
    Blunderov