RE: virus: communication and body language.

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Thu Sep 18 2003 - 05:54:10 MDT

    I remember that FW de Klerk would sometimes give a conspiratorial little
    smile at a critical point of his rhetoric. The effect of this was like
    'Come on! You and I are a select group of intelligent people who can
    grasp this stuff.' It made you feel like a member of the wedding.
    Sometimes teachers use this device too.

    In fact <blushes> I have sometimes borrowed this technique myself. It's
    quite effective.

    Best Regards
    Blunderov

    Behalf
    > Of Mermaid
    > Sent: 18 September 2003 0409
    > To: virus@lucifer.com
    > Subject: virus: communication and body language.
    >

    > after an aborted communication with a virian last night, i was left
    > pondering about body language and speech training.
    >
    > out there in the big bad world, what tricks do you use to effectively
    > communicate your ideas to others. are we too addicted to online
    > communication now that we have forgotten 'real life' interactions. i'd
    > like to know the specific and conscious kinds of body language some of
    you
    > may use at work, home or just about any kind of person-to-person
    > interaction. do you raise your voice or lower your voice? do you flail
    > your hands about to make a point? do you make eye contact? do you
    > punctuate sentences with your voice? do you get closer to people when
    you
    > want them to pay more attention to you? do you believe in 'personal
    > space'? do you crowd someone or corner them when you want to
    intimidate
    > them? do you show a tinge of anger when you disapprove? do you use
    > different body language when you ask someone for a favour? how do you
    show
    > that you are not threatening someone etc etc...any thoughts?
    >
    > paul ekman has a couple of books out on body language, face
    recognition
    > etc. any other author suggestions?
    >
    > also...how many here have taken classes for public speaking...been to
    > oratorical competitions or have debated in teams.
    >
    > ----
    > This message was posted by Mermaid to the Virus 2003 board on Church
    of
    > Virus BBS.

    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid
    =2