virus: Re:Getting a reputation

From: Casey (cmanisca@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 21 2003 - 15:48:58 MDT

    [David]
    Is the problem due to lack of information or lack of incentive? If the former, I could set it up so that there is an announcement made to the list or one of the BBS boards when someone joins the system. If the latter, we could discuss possibilities for
    engineering greater incentive.

    [Casey]
    It's probably a little of both; lack of information and lack of incentive. Information regarding a person is key when rating them. In cases where I don't know a person I give them a 5, it's as simple as that. Then, of course, when I know someone I give them a score that I feel they merit (and, I'm assuming all of you do the same).

    To quote Rhinoceros ,"old dogs who join the system don't get rated at all, then the rep/vote system seems to be wearing off", seems true to the point. If this were the case, as I suspect as much, then isn't this Apathy? Which we all know is a Virian Sin?

    I come online once or twice a week when I'm busiest, and about 5 or 6 times when I've got more time on my hands. Because I don't post frequently, or come to IRC, doesn't dissuade me from casting my own Reputation votes. I read through the BBS and email list to determine what number level I think one's Reputation should be placed. I would only hope the same from the rest of the Congregation. Until recently, I didn't realize I had 2 email address establishing my link to the Church of Virus. I deleted one and began using the other. So, with my previous account deleted I've lost numerous votes (both, positive and negative) ;) on my Reputation.

    So, from the looks of things, I'm beginning to sense Apathy arising in some Congregants; most likely, unknowingly considering that there may be any number of reasons why someone doesn't peruse the Reputations Link at the top of the page.

    Fond regards,
    Casey

    ----
    This message was posted by Casey to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29293>