Re:Unilateralism (was: RE: virus: The Ideohazard 1.1)

From: Hermit (virus@hermit.net)
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 13:02:37 MDT

    Jonathan Davis spluttered:

    Hermit
    He [dubya] asked member states to authorize the use of force against Iraq, saying the U.N. faced a defining moment. [b]"Are Security Council resolutions to be honored and enforced, or cast aside without consequence," he asked. "Will the United Nations serve the purpose of its founding, or will it be irrelevant?"[/b[

    In his speech one year ago, Mr. Bush made clear he would move against Iraq with or without U.N. permission because, he said, the United States would not stand by while dangers gather. "The Security Council resolutions will be enforced, the just demands of peace and security will be met, or action will be unavoidable," he said. "Unilateralism - Bush and the UN" (http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=60;action=display;threadid=29317) A carefully chosen, well-known, "anti-American" source to be sure.

    The US made a number of allegations about Iraq. These allegations were, as observed by many at the time, unfounded, specious, malicious and precipitous. As we have seen, the criticisms were valid. Despite this, the US followed this with a number of threats to the UN, not least "Will the United Nations serve the purpose of its founding, or will it be irrelevant?" Why, you may ask do I call this a threat? The answer is that the only way for the UN to become irrelevant was for the US to make it so. Which we proceded to do with alacrity. Despite it being against International* and US law - as well as unnecessary and, as we are seeing played out in the sands, expensive, destabilizing and stupid.

    Having acted to make the UN irrelevant, the US and UK are now looking for ways to save themselves from the worst of the consequences of their stupidity. Unfortunately for all of us, stupidity always has consequences, and no matter how the tragedy plays to an end, the peoples of the world, their children and their grand-children are, in one way or another, going to have to pay the price for the actions taken by "The Global Village Idiottm" and his adoring poodle.

    Hermit

    *The Grand Carter may be seen here: The Charter of the United Nations (http://www.un.org/aboutun/charter/)
    The Preamble, Chapter I, VI, VII and VIII are not long and very relevant.

    ----
    This message was posted by Hermit to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29311>