RE: virus: The internet's a dangerous place

From: Mermaid (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Fri Sep 26 2003 - 09:03:05 MDT

    [snipped article]Authorities said they found he had rented a nearby hotel room with a hot tub and had bought alcohol, condoms and sex toys. Sherzer, who was trained overseas as a physician and was attending a Maryland college where he was a star on the chess team, said the arrest cost him a medical residency in Shreveport, La., and could have jeopardized his
    entire career.

    [Mermaid]While its arguable whether a 16 year old is a child, this individual definitely acted against his better judgement. Or rather, what should have been his better judgement. It is *always* the adult's responsibility when it comes to dealing with a child. The internet is not the place to determine the level of maturity of an individual. Why! There are adults who act like a juvenile online and you'd never know!

    [snipped article]His lawyer, federal defender Carlos Williams, contended that Sherzer never would have attempted such a meeting if he had not been encouraged by Alabama Bureau of Investigation agent Stan Stabler, who was posing as the girl online.

    [Mermaid]Huh?..lets see if a corporate executive is 'persuaded' to let a child he met online run his corporation. I am sure everyone thinks that their offsprings are a direct competition to Einstein's genius, but you think they will allow their children to take that shiny new Porsche out for a spin by themselves on their first day on the roads without prior training. Or...have you heard of that pilot who let the bouncing child on his lap steer the plane.

    Right..I didnt think so..:)

    [Blunderov]Just to clarify: I am not arguing to allow child pornography - I am just wondering at the apparent imbalance of both attention and intensity which seems to attend the topic.

    [Mermaid]I dont call this child pornography. I call it old, sweaty, fat farts trying to score easily. I call it greedy exploitation of adolescents who, in all probability, still may be children.

    [Mermaid]Just as it is unfair to call a 16 y/o a child while it is possible that 16 year olds might as well be well equiped physically and emotionally to come across as an 'adult', it is also unfair to assume that this individual has had more than his fair share of attention and intensity. As far as the attention and intensity to the topic, I think its well deserved to deter other perverts to take advantage of children behind the screen. Lets face it. Most children are not as smart as we would like them to be...with the right environment, they might even turn out to be *gasp* well adjusted, intelligent young adults...it is our duty and obligation to provide it to them...most kids outgrow teenage stupidity...maybe its the hormones..even if it means that we have to hog tie the kids and take away the offending adults kicking and screaming, clear instruction about responsibility, accountability and punishment needs to get out there...

    ----
    This message was posted by Mermaid to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29334>