virus: Treason! Slander! and Defamation!

From: Jake Sapiens (every1hz@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Sep 26 2003 - 14:46:12 MDT

    [Hermit] Having told two people whom you regularly characterize as
    intelligent, fair, experienced and articulate that they are engaging in
    defamation - which you should recognise is always stupid - something seems
    to be out of kilter.

    [Jonathan 1] Not at all. There is no deliberate malice on your or Kharin's
    part. I see such things as mistakes, rhetorical devices that are unfair.

    [Jake] I am particularly sick of this particular attack meme that seems
    part of the new standard neo-con repertoire. For example see Ann Coulter's
    title for her new pulp "SLANDER". Any time they can't or don't want to
    respond to liberal critics, accusing them of "slander" seems like standard
    faire for them. "Defamation" is simply a variant of the same theme as
    slander is a subset of defamation. Defamation and slander are not "such
    things as mistakes". They involve deliberately bad intent and
    misrepresentations (or at least reckless disregard for truth). As such
    accusing someone of "slander" or "defamation" is no casual matter among
    civilized crowds, since falsely or carelessly doing so is itself
    potentially defamatory. Obviously as you stated above, Jonathan, you
    didn't even yourself intend to imply such malice. So the question seems
    all the more pressing, why did you say that if you didn't mean it? For the
    moment I'm just going to assume it was a bad habit you thoughtlessly picked
    up from your favorite Neo-con commentators. Maybe Scruton does these
    things too?

    Or perhaps I should assume something more sinister? That this is part of
    your EVIL, HYPOCRITICAL plan to SLANDER CoV members, and TREACHEROUSLY
    destroy our church community!!!!! ;-)

    Love,

    -Jake