RE: virus: The Ideohazard 1.1

From: Jonathan Davis (jonathan.davis@lineone.net)
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 07:55:50 MDT

    The story so far, Hermit and Jonathan are brawling over a book, The West and
    The Rest [ http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1882926811/ ], a
    modern classic...

    [Hermit 4] <moved from end> But you inspire me. Pity you left it so late in
    the article. Had I seen it 6 hours ago, I could have saved 6 hours. grep
    'Jonathan Davis' > /dev/null

    [Jonathan 5] Surrender accepted.

    [Hermit 6] No surrender given or implied. You received a (full response).
    Something you seem incapable of doing. Your statement was not ad hominem,
    but is a statement that you have deliberately projected a meaning which
    could not be construed from what I said onto my words.

    [Jonathan 6] You were stung into a response. Cassandra's whip.

    [Jonathan 5] <moved from end> This was written entirely in jest to mock your
    style and methods. You may have detected an irreverent tone in this
    response. It is the mirth that accompanies insight.

    [Hermit 6] I'm not convinced that you have seen a thing. It would excuse me
    from replying, only from your past behaviour, I know that you will then make
    further invalid assertions about what that meant.

    [Jonathan 6] I am not convinced by what

    [SNIP POINT OF ORDER REPLIED TO PREVIOUSLY]

    [Jonathan Davis 1] You, like Kharin, have stooped to defamation over
    content. Scruton is a first and foremost an philosopher, and a superb one at
    that. I can testify to this as I have read the book in question.

    [Hermit 2] Nope. Scruton isn't a "superb" philosopher. He is a media figure
    who plays the role of a philosopher on programs appealing to Fux TV viewers.
    He is probably most famous for accepting money from Japan Tobacco
    International to write pro-smoking articles in the various newspapers that
    murder trees on his behalf. And then getting found out. Said newspapers
    ended up sacking him for his pains. (Kharin's contribution.)

    [Jonathan 3] The tobacco thing is completely irrelevant. It was a crude
    attempt at the same sort of well poisoning I complained about earlier.

    [Hermit 6] Unsupported assertion of irrelevancy. Unsupported assertion of
    "well poisoning."

    [Jonathan 6] The matter of Scruton and the Tobacco company are completely
    irrelevant to the merits of the book we are discussing. You are attempting
    to poison Scruton's well. You prejudged the book based on its title and I
    suspect are sorry for it 13 hours of writing later.

    [Hermit 4] It is not at all irrelevant. Neither was it poisoning the well.
    The man takes short cuts in all directions and uses his spurious "authority"
    to make a never ending stream of assertions accepted approvingly only by
    people infested with a similar political ideology. His work is not regarded
    as exceptional by any significant academic group and his character is viewed
    as flawed. The mention of his history suffices to prove that this is neither
    a stretch nor a new phenomenon. In science at least, but in academia
    generally in my experience, reputation is jealously guarded, because you
    have only one. Scruton has one, but it smells a bit like last week's hake.

    [Jonathan 5] You claim the man takes short cuts yet you offer no support for
    the ad hominem. It was you who took the shortcut by prejudging the book by
    its title. Here you do nothing but make desperate and false claims about
    Scruton:

    [Hermit 6] Invalid and unsupported assertion of ad hominem. Invalid and
    unsupported assertion that I take "short cuts". Invalid and unsupported
    assertion that I make "desperate and false claims"

    [Jonathan 6] Err, I see you have decided to simply opt for denial. Might I
    remind you that it was *you* who made the claims about Scruton and never
    supported them. You made the claims about Scruton, you failed to support
    them, I characterised (correctly) your efforts as desperate.

    [Hermit 6] No, I prejudge the book by its author's reputation. I prejudge
    the author on his self identification as a proponent of a "conservative"
    perspective. I prejudge the author on the fact that the majority of his
    "works" seem to me to be apologetics, pop-Phi and novels. This is not a
    short cut, not "prejudging a book on its title" and certainly not a
    "desperate and false claim".

    [Jonathan 6] I simply do not believe you. You have failed to convince me
    that your rejection of Scruton was based on anything but Kharin's outburst.
    You and he both erred, he in rejecting a work based on the reputation of its
    author (despite my testimony) and you in unthinkingly attacking the book
    (and obliquely me) in ignorance. The cardinal fact is that you have not even
    read the book, so you cannot even begin to validate your claims against the
    book.

    [Jonathan 5] Claim: Scruton's work is not regarded as exceptional by any
    significant academic group.
    [Jonathan 5] Comment: Scruton's work is acknowledged highly exceptional and
    downright brilliant by scholars across the world. I can prove this, but I
    would prefer to do so AFTER you have defined "academic group" and
    demonstrated how one can show a scholar to be considered exception by such a
    group.

    [Hermit 6] Count citations in in the Humanities index. Discover, "His
    vilification and rejection by the academic establishment is disgraceful."
    [Bryan Appleyard, The Sunday Times, before they fired him]. You might
    disagree with this, but the fact of it is clear. Notice that his Doctorates
    are honorary - and his Professorships have been as a visitor, not tenured
    (even from institutions which agree with his position), in otherwords, he
    does not meet the requirements to establish tenure.

    [Jonathan 6] To be insulted by Brian Appleyard is a compliment. Scruton is a
    curmudgeon, he excites passions and angers the pious and the idiotic. Do you
    really support defamation as a legitimate tactic? Is it really reasonable
    for me to judge a work on the basis of what detractors say about the author?
    I will remember this in future. Next time you write a piece I will simply
    list what Joe Dees has written about you, or Metahuman.

    [Jonathan 3] <moved down> "[Roger Scruton] has a reputation as a first class
    professional philosopher among other academics of all political persuasions"
    guardian profile quoted in your earlier hatchet job post
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4082791,00.html.

    [Jonathan 5] How do you respond to the claim in the Guardian profile posted
    above?

    [Hermit 6] Puffing him up in order to more easily knock him down.

    [Jonathan 6] LOL! It directly contradicts you Hermit. You claimed that
    "Scruton's work is not regarded as exceptional by any significant academic
    group", yet here we have the Guardian, in an article you posted, saying
    "[Roger Scruton] has a reputation as a first class professional philosopher
    among other academics of all political persuasions" [
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4082791,00.html ]. You were
    rumbled!

    [Jonathan 5] Claim: The man takes short cuts in all directions and uses his
    spurious "authority" assertions accepted approvingly only by people
    *infested* with a similar political ideology.

    [Jonathan 5] Comment: I invite you to support this claim of yours. It is you
    who is making a stream of claims about Scruton which are completely false
    (bordering on the hilarious). In the book in question, touted by some as a
    modern classic,

    [Hermit 6] Invalid and unsupported assertion of my making false claims.

    [Jonathan 6] Round and round the denial bush. I invite you to support this
    claim of yours, you say...nothing. Let me try this another way: You make a
    claim, I ask you to support it (I do this because I know they are false and
    say so), you assert that my invitation is another claim, and so on. No, back
    to the original: back up your claim that Scruton 1. takes short cuts and 2.
    has spurious "authority" 3. has his claims accepted only by people
    "infested" with a similar political ideology.

    Waiting, waiting......

    [Hermit 6] "Some" claimed that Enid Blyton wrote "modern classics" too. Only
    she was more published and much more widely read than Scruton. Who has not
    heard of "Noddy, Bigears and Mr Plod the policeman"? And didn't need to
    found her own publishing house to get her books into print (Vide ownership
    of Claridge Press). The point being that Scrunton doesn't need to make
    arguments," as ex-editor of the Salisbury Review, "a journal of conservative
    thought", he preaches to the "conservative" (most "right", some "left*" )
    choir - and indeed this appeals quite strongly to the "neo-conservatives"
    (some "right", some "left*") too. (*aka frightened liberals.)

    [Jonathan 6] This is simply rubbish. Regardless of the fact that he has
    broad appeal, the man is brilliant and his book superb. You say he does not
    need to make arguments, yet he does, superbly. Virtually every writer of
    note has a following, Scruton is rare in that not only is he respected
    across political divides, but is hailed as having written on of the

    [Jonathan 5] Scruton is acknowledged by writers on the left and right as
    having delivered a superb, highly argued analysis. You however are GUESSING
    because you have not even read the book.

    [Hermit 6] Invalid and unsupported assertion that I am "guessing".

    [Jonathan 6] As you have chosen not to challenge my statement here, I take
    it you now agree that Scruton is acknowledged by writers on the left and
    right as having delivered a superb, highly argued analysis. As for
    your..err..objection, you are wrong. Not having read the material we are
    discussing, you are making guesses about it.

    [Hermit 6] Not guessing. Projecting that if his other works are terrible
    that this one follows the pattern. And I notice that the labels "left" and
    "right" are dead artifacts. If you want to talk labels, you need a new set.
    How about "The West is best" (including everyone from Attilla to Trotsky)
    and "The rest" (Not a group as this includes everyone from the classic
    liberal to extreme fundamentalists). I'm guessing that many of the former
    will love it, and most of the latter will hate it. Not being in the former
    group, I am sure that I needn't bother reading it. (*Or even, America (in
    the sense of a neo-colonial power), first, last and always.)

    [Jonathan 6] You have not read anything by him have you Hermit? There is an
    implied premise here that "his other works are terrible" yet you have not
    read him and I have posted a sample of the near hysterical praise for his
    works. Despite these testimonials, and despite the fact you have not read
    the man - you persist with your negative assessment based on little more
    than a Guardian article criticising one of his books on England. I think,
    and I can never prove this of course, that you that it was a simple case of
    stimulus response. You saw the title, factored in Kharin's bias and took the
    shortcut to negative prejudgement. It was a mistake to do so.

    Your projection was wrong and it is a good illustration of the dangers of
    prejudice and stereotype.

    Regarding the left/right taxonomy, I used it as a turn of phrase to indicate
    cross political support. As for best wests. I am with Jim Morrison on that
    one.

    [Jonathan 5] Claim: Scruton's reputation stinks

    [Jonathan 5] Comment: I have already posted some comments by reviewers on
    Scruton and his work that show this to be a bald lie. He is a widely
    acknowledged master of his craft and one of Britain greatest living
    philosophers. He is a contrarian, iconoclast and heterodox. One day he will
    be a Virian saint, or at least should be.

    [Hermit 6] Invalid and unsupported assertion that I tell bald lies.

    [Jonathan 6] I agree. This is to strong by far. I withdraw it and replace
    bald lie with "bold and erroneous guess".

    [Hermit 6] In memory of his puffing the tobacco companies, while forgetting
    to mention he was being paid to do this? Or for some other reason. It can't
    be for his articles or reports. Last time I looked, bigotry, hypocricy and
    dishonesty were not Virian Virtues, so I doubt that we will hagify him.

    [Jonathan 6] Actually he did not puff the tobacco companies, he simply got
    caught offering to work for them. He did nothing wrong at all and was the
    victim of a Guardian arranged borking. You imply here Scruton is a bigot, a
    hypocrite and dishonest. He is none of these things.

    I might remind you Hermit that you have been labelled as such in this very
    forum (unfairly mostly). Did you think it fair? Do you think it is an
    acceptable way to conduct discourse? A fair tactic for debate?

    [Jonathan Davis 1] Why you inserted the irrelevant comments about race
    consciousness I do not know. Redefining the out-group is easy when I can
    force you into the in-group at spear point.

    [Hermit 6] As hominem as you asset (without justification) that I am
    engaging in irrelevancy - exacerbated by argumentam ad baculam.

    [Jonathan 6] I see your argument ad baculum and raise you a tu quoque and an
    Anecdotal evidence.

    [Hermit 2] Not when the tip is irrefutably entangled somewhere in your own
    anatomy.

    [Jonathan 3] Yes, but why did you put it in?

    [Hermit 4] If you meant the tip, I think it was a self inflicted injury on
    your part.

    [Jonathan 5] I use firearms, I am not a savage after all. Now, why did you
    insert that material on race consciousness?

    [Hermit 6] Why did you "threaten" me with a "spear" if you are not a savage?

    [Hermit 6] I did not threaten you with a spear. I am not a savage after all.
    What I did do is make a point that if I force you into my in-group (at spear
    point), then out-group related problems cease.

    [Jonathan 5] Please answer the question.

    [Hermit 6] Ad hominem as you assert that I did respond, where in fact I did.
    See next. Presumably you didn't notice as you didn't comment either.

    [Jonathan 6] You have not yet answered why you put in the passage on race
    consciousness. It remains *unanswered*.

    [Hermit 4] If about Toynbee, then perhaps you don't realise that Scruton
    only has one song, and this is of his neverending nostalgia for a supreme
    Anglican Western world he imagines was superior to every other culture and
    any other time. This has many serious problems, but the most glaring is that
    the world he writes about in rounded periods has never existed except in his
    imagination, A counter exanple should have served to show that his
    assertions are invalid. The UK practically invented modern racism, and
    Christianity was responsible for the preservation of ignorance and bigotry
    until well into the "enlightenment." As Toynbee indicated the values Scruton
    wishes to reserve for the west were held by the Muslim much earlier. So much
    for Scrunton.

    [Jonathan 6] I do not accept your guesses about Scruton because 1. You have
    not read him, and 2. I have and I know that what you are saying is rubbish.
    This entire passage is based on what you believe is true of Scruton. It is
    an act of faith better suited to happy clappy testimonial festival.

    [Hermit 2] Having told two people whom you regularly characterize as
    intelligent, fair, experienced and articulate that they are engaging in
    defamation - which you should recognise is always stupid - something seems
    to be out of kilter.

    [Hermit 6] Invalid and unsupported assertion I engage in defamation - which
    by definition has to be untrue. Yet the truth of what I said is not
    refutable and my motive is not malicious. Thus, be definition, what I have
    said is not defamation.

    [Jonathan 6] You have attempted to defame Scruton. Defamation is the
    "destruction or attempted destruction of the reputation, status, character
    or standing in the community of a person or group of persons by unfair,
    wrongful, or malicious speech or publication." This fairly capture your
    efforts in this thread.

    [Jonathan 3] Not at all. There is no deliberate malice on your or Kharin's
    part. I see such things as mistakes, rhetorical devices that are unfair.

    [Hermit 4] No. I (and I am certain Kharin) both are quite capable of looking
    at a charletan and identifying him as such to the satisfation of anyone
    prepared to either accept what we illustrate, or doing the necessary
    research to validate it for themselves. Neither of us delude ourselves that
    those unprepared to challenge their preconceptions will derive any benefit
    from what we say. But warning people that Scruton is a loathsome, second
    rate hack preaching to a clearly identified choir is a long way from
    "defamation".

    [Jonathan 6] Your characterisation of Scruton as being a "loathsome, second
    rate hack preaching to a clearly identified choir" is clearly defamatory and
    flies in the face of fact. Scruton is an enormously highly respected
    intellectual, philosopher and writer. But this is neither here nor there. We
    are discussing a work:

    The West and the Rest, which I recommended to Kharin. You have chosen to
    attack the book and the author on the basis of prejudices and "projections",
    possibly justified after. Not only are you wrong about Scruton, shooting
    yourself in the foot in your attempts to defame him, but even if he were a
    werewolf, it would not really have any bearing on the merits of his book,
    merits to which I can attest because I have read it. You however have not. I
    do not need to drive home this point as it is clear: You basing your
    arguments on guesses, I am basing mine on knowledge.

    [Jonathan 5] I suspect you and Karin both attacked the book because you
    prejudged it based on its title and the previous defamation of the author by
    left-wing politicos. It was a mistake on your part and you have been
    fighting a retreat ever since. You have not read the book, but instead fly
    in the face of your supposed sceptical credentials and judge it by its
    cover.

    [Hermit 6] You cannot make unfounded assertions about my motives.

    [Jonathan 6] I can, just like you do, speculate. Of course I cannot mind
    read, but you and I both know I am right.

    [Jonathan 5] What is even more telling is that you utterly dismissed my
    recommendation. My authority counts for naught with you. It is useful to
    know where I stand and how radical you are. You chose to attacked
    reflexively and in bad faith. I am making you part for it now. Karin was
    sensibly left this in alone.

    [Hermit 6] I don't think that you have any authority - which suggest that
    this may be a false claim. You assert (without justification as you cannot
    know my internal state) that I am "radical". You assert that I am acting in
    "reflex" and in "bad faith. That is ad hominem.

    [Jonathan 6] My label for you is not based on your internal state, but your
    behaviour. My comments about you are descriptions of your behaviours, not
    claims about your character. I have often prefaced my responses with to you
    with high praise to offset any perceived ad hominems. Shall I post the
    examples? Will you post your kind descriptions of me? Oh, they don't exist
    do they.

    [Hermit 6] Say rather I judged him on his history, his "conservativism", the
    topics he chooses to write on, the style he chooses to use, the reception
    given to his previous works and his character. Here are his books to date.
    Which ones do you claim are significant and demonstrate his brilliance?

    [Jonathan 6] You are now justifying yourself after the fact. You long ago
    used up any good faith I had reserved for you, so I simply do not give you
    the benefit of the doubt here. I do not believe that you made your
    judgements on the basis you now claim. Scruton is labelled a conservative,
    but I would describe you as such too in some respects. He writes mostly on
    philosophical matters, as this is his primary profession. Most of his works
    are excellent, some are downright brilliant.

    Where are you deriving your authority to make the judgements you do? You
    have not read the book in question and I do not think you have read a single
    book by the man, so your opinion is near worthless. All we are getting here
    is a statement of your prejudices, but nothing of value.

    [Hermit 2] My recommendation was for you to read some Toynbee in order to
    try to get a better handle on history before you decide that Scruton
    represents a pinnacle of historical excellence upon which you can base your
    entire opinion of the field.

    [Jonathan 3] That is completely fair, but not what you said (or at least
    what was communicated to me). Firstly, I would have corrected you: I was not
    basing my entire opinion of any field on any one person or book.

    [Hermit 4] Given that the arguments you raised are not new, seem derivitive,
    and have deceived nobody I have met with actual knowledge of the situations
    they involve, I concluded you were propagating an opinion based on your
    acceptance of the authority of Scranton's book you claim to have read.

    [Jonathan 4] Here you make yet another dries of mistakes, escorted by
    fallacies and gelled together by ad hominem. I recommended a book to Karin.
    You and he attacked the book and its author (in fact worse, you attacked
    other books by the same author!). You did not be anything on argument
    because you have not read the book, neither is Kharin. Instead you chose
    your customary mode of attack - ad hominem. I am patiently exposing your
    methods and being cheered for it off list. Scruton's arguments are utterly
    compelling, but you would not know would you? You have not read them. You
    are acting in by *faith*. Shame on you, and you a putative sceptic who mikes
    up his own mind huh.

    [Hermit 6] A slew of fallacies, from ad populam (claiming support of the
    crowd) to ad hominem. You cannot comment on me. Look at how I commented
    above. I spoke to what I had concluded, not to what your internal state was.
    You comment - nastily, on me. Unsupported assertions of ad hominem.
    Gratuitous assertion that this is my "method". Unsupported assertion I am
    acting by "faith". Direct insult.

    [Jonathan 6] Tis you who thinks the crowd backs him, hence your threats
    about sanctioning me. I am not commenting on your internal state, I am
    commenting on the nature of your actions. I expose your method, yes. Does
    this tell us something about you? Perhaps. Is this a cry for help?

    [Hermit 6] I'm so glad to hear that you have admirers who grant you respect.
    It must make you feel wonderful. Are they all conservatives? I've noticed
    that conservatives like to fly in flocks, and seldom are sufficiently
    articulate to speak for themselves. But what exactly do you imagine that you
    are "exposing"? And where is the "ad hominem"? Your "dries of mistakes"
    (whatever that means)? Your claims do not make the things you say true - no
    matter how many times you assert them. And you have asserted these things
    many, many times.

    [Jonathan 6] I have more than admirers, I have fans! Are they conservatives?
    Some are, yes. Most are not. They mostly defy categorization. Do you have
    supporters? What is with these old labels? Labels like "conservative" and
    "liberal" are as dated as "left" and "right". As for your comments about
    conservatives, your observations must be based on too small a sample. I find
    brilliant people on both sides of the false divide.

    [Hermit 4] Given your advocacy of Scranton as providing "answers", I
    reached the further tentative conclusion that you were singing the same song
    as Scrunton. If that is not the case I'd appreciate your attempting to
    explain why you saw fit to mislead us about your motivations?

    [Jonathan 4] I agree strongly with Scruton on some matters. Read the book
    and find out why.

    [Hermit 6] I don't need to. You are, after all, a self-avowed conservative,
    and thus a member of his target audience. Is it the case that when he
    presses the keys, you sing his song. If so, it is very human.

    [Jonathan 6] This is pure ad hominem circumstantial. See
    http://gncurtis.home.texas.net/adhomine.html

    [Jonathan 3] Secondly, I recommend Scruton's book "To understand why these
    agreements are being undermined". These agreements referred to certain
    agreements and notions in western politics. Scruton examines what happens to
    consensus models when pre-political loyalties are dissolved.

    [Hermit 6] As you keep whining that I shouldn't refer you to books ("Throw a
    book at someone and say "My argument is in there"'), rather than writing a
    summary, and appear to resent being presented with nice URLs you can just
    click on, I wonder why you don't provide a summary here instead of an
    assertion?

    [Jonathan 6] The book is too tightly argued. It defies summary because it is
    so beautifully crafted as to be super-condescended.

    [Hermit 4] The people turn away from Jesus, the world goes to hell in a
    handbasket, and it is the end of civilization as he imagines it. We know
    that. But why did you advocate this perspective and Scrunton's book if you
    disagree with Scrunton? Conversely, why do you attempt to reject the
    importance of Scrunton in forming your views if you are indeed singing the
    same song?

    [Jonathan 5] Hermit, this is pure straw man. He says nothing of the sort. I
    invite you to support these claims (like so many of these challenges, I
    expect silence or evasion from you).

    [Hermit 6 ] A strawman must be untrue or irrelevant. Why not read the review
    you quoted from. It says that is exactly what he said. Which is why I posted
    it. So it is true. And we are discussing the author. So it is relevant. So
    no strawman and your assertion fails.

    [Jonathan 6] The statement is untrue AND irrelevant. We are discussing a
    book, you are attacking the author as a substitute for attacking the book
    which you have not read and clearly know next to nothing about.

    [Hermit 6] Projecting what you "expect" from me is always invalid. And
    unsupported assertions of evasion are direct ad hominem.

    [Jonathan 6] I can state my expectations without prejudice. It is entirely
    valid and necessarily true "This is what I expect". Prove me wrong. I invite
    you to support the claim, I predicted you would not (expect). You did not,
    so my prediction was true AND your claim remains unsupported.

    [Jonathan 5] I have not rejected Scruton in forming my views.

    [Hermit 6] I know that. I wondered if you did.

    [Jonathan 6] Now you know.

    [Jonathan 5] He an I do indeed sing the same song at times (on other matters
    I do not agree with him at all. You should understand that, you know
    black/white/grey and all). The problem is that you in your profound
    ignorance and prejudice have no idea of what that song is because you have
    not read the work we are discussing, and even if you do now you will never
    be able to admit I am right because of this confrontation.

    [Hermit 6] Whose "profound ignorance and prejudice." Whose inability to
    "admit" that somebody else is right.

    [Jonathan 6] He who attacks a book before reading and spend 14 hours
    attempting to justify his rash actions.

    [Jonathan Davis 1] As a scientist, sceptic and atheist perhaps you would be
    better advised expounding on Toynbee's "use of myths and metaphors as being
    of comparable value to factual data and his reliance on a view of religion
    as a regenerative force" http://concise.britannica.com/ebc/article?eu=406334

    [Hermit 2] Perhaps you were unaware that Toynbee was an atheist and a
    sceptic - and probably the first historian to attempt a modern scientific
    approach to history on a grand scale (i.e. looking at the macro-event
    level). Perhaps that is why I appreciate him.

    [Jonathan 1] I will try and get hold of some of his volumes or perhaps an
    abridged work.

    [Hermit 2] Look in a mirror. Observing that myth and metaphor is important
    and plays a huge role in life and history is no more, and certainly no less,
    than what the CoV is engaged in. What else is "memetics" other than myth,
    metaphor and their effects on their carriers.

    [Jonathan 3] Perhaps. That is a different albeit interesting discussion
    perhaps as a topic for a chat.

    [Hermit 2] In any case, I suggest that somebody's perspective is flawed and
    that cognitive dissonance is almost certainly at work. Particularly when it
    comes to your repeatedly rejected strange idea that I advocate any Theistic
    religions. The difference between you and I, it seems, is that I condemn
    them all equally, rather than reserving a fondness for the Anglicans. This
    includes recognizing that your (and that of your sources) blanket
    condemnation of Middle Eastern and Asian culture is rooted in your
    apparently shallow perspective. Had you been brought up in, e.g. The PRC,
    your opinion would no doubt be different. Which allows me to condemn your
    judgements, they are not measured, but are rooted in cultural prejudice.

    [Jonathan 3] Here you revert to the standard charge that those who disagree
    with you suffer from a pathology of some sort. I do not blanket condemn
    anything. Neither does Scruton. It would be useful if you could serve some
    examples as I do not think they exist.

    [Hermit 6] As previously noted (infra) there was no assertion of pathology
    here, and no support for the claim that this is a "standard charge."

    [Jonathan 6] Very good, I take this as a withdrawal. Very big of you.

    [Hermit 4] What pathology? I have told you repeatedly that I don't support
    any Theistic systems, but reject all of them equally. You continuously
    repeat your assertion that I prefer Islam (with the nasty insinuation that I
    am a traitor to my self).

    [Jonathan 5] Here you are projecting (to use that awful psychology term).
    You make a series of claims about me. I reject them and you come straight
    beck at me saying it is me making claims about you. This is the mirror
    method. Re-read the three paragraphs above. They tell their own story.

    [Hermit 6.1] You reject what I say. There is no argument about that. I make
    a series of observations about people (which I don't think any one could
    deny) and say that I see the reason for your attitude (unopposed) is because
    of what I perceive as being a shallow perspective and justify my
    condemnation by saying that from another perspective you would see things
    differently. Are you suggesting that we are not the product of our
    environments? Then you come back with a bunch of "clinical" assertions and
    assert (unsubstantiated) that you have rejected a strawman of your own
    making.

    [Jonathan 6.1] I do not believe in the blank slate, no. Your other claims
    and statements here are too vague to be intelligible in this context.

    [Jonathan 5] As for you and Islam, I think it is a simple use of my enemies
    enemy is my friend.

    [Hermit 6] Who is "my enemy" according to your unsupported assertion? And
    what grounds do you have for your further unsupported assertion that I
    appear shortsighted and hypocritical enough not to consider the nature of
    those with whom I ally myself. When you say, "I think, blah, blah, blah"
    about the person with whom you are arguing, you have to provide
    justification for your thinking or it is ad hominem.

    [Jonathan 6] My enemies enemy is my friend. I dare not elaborate or
    according to some of your previous protests, the secret service or similar
    will kick down your door. That your worries are in my opinion paranoia is
    neither here nor there. I will respect your fears.

    [Hermit 4] So something must be preventing you from comprehending my simple
    straightforward words. That something is called cognitive dissonance.

    [Jonathan 5] [color]Round and around. Same old charge. "You disagree, you
    must be dilly!"[/color]

    [Jonathan 6] Look, pretty colours added to some of my incidental statements.
    Shall I reciprocate Hermit? Green? Yellow?

    [Hermit 6] As previously noted (infra) Cognitive dissonance is natural. It
    is not "dilly" although it may (sometimes) be silly. So this claim is a
    strawman. And the assertion that this is the "same old charge" is
    unsupported.

    [Jonathan 6] You make frequent use of the false consciousness tactic. You
    have used it several times in this thread and repeat it above. Maybe all
    those years fighting Soviet propaganda (or was it listening to it) has rubs
    off . Was it you who fought Soviet propaganda? It is hard to keep track of
    all of your (or others) adventures...

    [Hermit 4] And it is morphological rather than pathological. Your brain
    keeps telling you that what you see must match what you believe - or it
    should be rejected. The mechanism is well understood. Indeed your accusation
    that I "charge that those who disagree with you suffer from a pathology of
    some sort" and that this is standard, is simply your cognitive dissonance
    getting in the way again. You are misinterpreting reality and I suggest that
    it is apparent to most of the people reading this.

    [Jonathan 6] Insert: Here to fall victim to the argumentum ad populum,
    albeit it wishfully.

    [Jonathan 4] Here you keep up chant that I am somehow insane or suffering
    cognitive dissonance. It is a convenient ad hominem, but you have spent
    yourself with this tactic.

    [Hermit 6] I do not call you insane. To assert that the reason for what
    appears to be the unjustified rejection appears to be cognitive dissonance
    is not to engage in ad hominem. Particularly when the original assertion was
    ad hominem in the purest sense of the word. Speaking to the man. Remember?
    You indicated that I should reject Toynbee on the grounds of what you think
    I am and what you imagined him to be.

    [Jonathan 6] You say I "misinterpreting reality" and this is the basis of
    insanity. Also, please stop this embarrassing yourself with your
    misunderstanding of what an ad hominem is. It can be used by proxy and
    refers to the object or source of any argument, not necessarily the speaker.
    Sometimes I get wonderful insights into what you are about by your
    slippages. They call them "tells" in stage magic and cold readings. Here you
    essentially summarise what you have been up to:

    You indicated that you reject Scruton's book on the grounds of what you
    think his audience is (conservative etc) and what you imagined him to be.

    [Jonathan 4] What you do not know and (or maybe cognitive dissonance gets
    you) is that your reputation for using bullying ad homimens is the single
    biggest complaint about you. This thuggery blights your otherwise great
    work. You can choose to believe me or not. I don't care because I know it to
    be true. You would do well to believe it.

    [Hermit 6] You make unsubstantiated assertions here that the crowd thinks
    that I engage in thuggery and bullying ad hominem. That is ad hominem (and
    ad populam and a straw man and ad misercordiam). Hopefully, the illuminated
    version of this work will convince you that the shoe is on the other foot. I
    invite you to respond in kind.

    [Jonathan 6] I have said that your reputation for using bullying ad homimens
    is the single biggest complaint about you. It is. It is the truth. If it
    were not a betrayal of those who have communicated in private, I would
    prove it to you. The congregation can judge for themselves who is a bully
    and who is not, who engages in Thuggery or not, who uses insults and
    personal attacks instead of arguments.

    [Hermit 4] If you knew more about the non-Western world, it would seem to me
    that you should be able to do a better job of perceiving the world as
    projected through their perspective.

    [Jonathan 6] I do a better job than you. What does that tell you about
    yourself?

    [Jonathan 3] You can label me or my perspective whatever you like (shallow
    etc.) The vehemence of your contempt does not actually help your arguments
    all. I could, but shall not, make exactly the same plausible claims about
    you that you are making about me. It is specious and unhelpful.

    [Hermit 6] I didn't label you shallow (See [Hermit 6.1] supra). You presume
    contempt for the person (as opposed to the tactics). I do not call you a
    liar (specious). Your unfounded charges against me fail.

    [Jonathan 6] I pointed out that you can label me or my perspective whatever
    you like. It makes no real odds and is irrelevant. Note also I said "The
    vehemence of your contempt" NOT "The vehemence of your contempt for me". I
    know you secret love me :-)

    My charge stands, unaltered and supported by preceding paragraphs.

    [Hermit 4] When an analysis is based in understanding the motivations of the
    protagonists, then it has validity. But the perspective that you and Scruton
    portray is not based on that at all. Rather, at least in Scruton's case, it
    is based in the fact that they are not nicely behaved democratic Anglican's.
    In your case, the statements you have made about Islam lead me to think that
    you don't understand it sufficiently to condemn it effectively.

    [Jonathan 5] Here you are exposing yourself again as buffoon.

    [Hermit 6] How do you imagine that calling your opponent a "buffoon" is not
    an argumentum ad hominem?

    [Jonathan 6] I said you are exposing yourself as a buffoon ( i.e a person
    who amuses others by ridiculous behaviour ). It was a caution to you.

    [Jonathan 5] Your prejudices about Scruton (and me?) Are driving you into a
    cognitive trap. You seem unable to free yourself from mad notions about what
    Scruton is said.

    [Hermit 6] You assert, but do not substantiate, prejudice. You, without
    substantiation, assert cognitive traps and insanity. This is not an
    argumentum ad hominem?

    [Jonathan 6] As with all of these latest counter-claims of yours, they are
    fatally flawed. It is you who made assertions, I have called you on them,
    you refuse to answer, choosing instead to deploy red herrings to distract
    form your first slew of claims/assertions/boasts/opinion none of which were
    supported.

    [Jonathan 5] You are in no position to judge me on anything, least of all
    Islam or politics.

    [Hermit 6] I don't. I judge your words and your own assertions about
    yourself. Your unsubstantiated assertion that I am judging you is ad
    hominem.

    [Jonathan 6] I did not say you are judging me, I said you are in NO POSITION
    to judge me on anything.

    [Jonathan 5] Your biases are the butt of jokes.

    [Hermit 6] While this is in line with your earlier accusations that I, your
    opponent here, am a buffoon, it also remains ad hominem (and ad populam).

    [Jonathan 6] This is a statement of fact ( I have mocked your biases myself)
    that does not refer to any argument or claim of yours. It is a biographical
    insert and as such is not an ad hominem.

    [Jonathan 5] Read Scruton and take a pop at your own armoured prejudices.
    You and Scruton agree on much. It is only your prejudices that prevent you
    from discovering an ally.

    [Hermit 6] You can't validly make assertions that I am prejudiced or that I
    would agree with your argument if I were not prejudiced.

    [Jonathan 6] I can do what I did, which is recommend that you read Scruton.
    I can also recommend that you "take a pop" at your own prejudices. You can
    derive an association from that if you wish, that is, reading Scruton will
    alleviate your own prejudices.

    [Jonathan Davis 1] Or is your selective quoting of Toynbee just a case of a
    quoting another set of scriptures for one's own purposes?

    [Hermit 6] While I chose not to bother with this before you elected to
    attack me for using, "ad hominem", and so interpreted this in the most
    positive light I could, "selective quoting" is in fact a serious charge,
    always implying that the arguments of the person quoted are not
    representative of their work and that the person doing the quoting is
    engaging in dishonesty. I notice that, as usual, you did not even attempt to
    substantiate your accusation.

    [Jonathan 6] You selected quotes to present to us, quotes which support your
    position. I simply noted this was what priests have done with their holy
    books for millennia...

    [Hermit 2] The man was prodigiously productive, having written upwards of
    100 works, many of them seminal. I recall your complaining of a few
    paragraphs of summary recently - on the grounds you had no time to read
    them. If you don't want a flood which will make Dees look restrained, I
    suggest that you be glad that I am selective.

    [Jonathan 3] You may be incontinent if you choose. I do have delete but
    after all and a fast internet connection.

    [Hermit 6] I suggest that accusing your opponent of having a leaky bladder
    (incontinent) would, in most forums, be construed as ad hominem.

    [Jonathan 6] I am now going to suggest that my opponent broaden his
    vocabulary and discover what incontinent can (and does) mean in this
    context:

    http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=incontinents

    [Hermit 4] Not everyone here has. Quotation serves no purpose if it is not
    read ("I have a delete key"). And it seems to me that you are the person
    most likely to complain that you don't have the time to read a few
    paragraphs to be able to argue on a factual basis (see e.g. the discussion
    on the instantiation of the Universe).

    [Jonathan 4] I need to be careful about what I choose to discuss. A sense of
    duty will drive me to fight the good fight on any matter, so I prefer to
    keep it on topics I am interested in. As for the discussion on the
    instantiation of the Universe, my points were made and accepted. That you
    chose to build and then bash a straw man was nothing to do with me.

    [Hermit 6] You'd need to substantiate this. For now it is just another
    unsubstantiated assertion.

    [Jonathan 6] No I don't.

    [Hermit 2] As for quoting Toynbee, he serves as a counterpoise to Scruton
    and Co, reminding you of their "western universalist" position. While your
    knowledge of Islamic history as portrayed here is so flawed as to render
    discussion meaningless until you obtain a better background, bigotry and
    prejudicial interpretations abound, and you seem to have soaked up and in
    consequence appear to be advocating some percentage of it.

    [Jonathan 3] Instead of calling me names and talking up your boy Toynbee,
    why don't you do something substantive like support an assertion or craft an
    argument?

    [Hermit 6] I didn't call you names. I refered to what appeared to be your
    position and noted that it appeared to be based on not uncommon flawed
    assertions. Asserting, without grounds, that I do not support my assertions
    whan challenged must fail if I do it. As everyone here - including you -
    knows that I do so. this appears to be not so much wrong as a deliberate lie
    on your part - and I would have been quite justified in terminating all
    dialog at this point.

    [Jonathan 6] I have thought that several times, but I like these
    discussions. You are now calling me liar, but it is no worse than the other
    baseless claims you have made (and received I hope with the same measure of
    incredulity).

    [Hermit 3] Toynbee is not anybody's "boy". Toynbee is regarded as
    significant. A search on google for "historiography Toynbee" will show you
    why. Toynbee and Wells founded the twentieth century school of
    Historiography. Toynbee, Wells, Spengler, Krober, Malinowski and McNeill are
    regarded as the primary modern historians, and a reference to any citation
    index will reflect that most academics regard Toynbee as the most
    significant of them. Your slighting references to Toynbee, like your
    comments about Islam, point to an almost total lack of knowledge of the
    field.

    [Jonathan 5] Your boy Toynbee is yesterdays man.

    [Hermit 6] Repetition of a slur with racialist overtones without support.
    Calling Toynbee names is just silly. Attempting to associate them with me is
    ad hominem.

    [Jonathan 6] LOL!!!!!! Oh how you must have been pissed off when you
    realised I was baiting you. Beautiful.

    [Jonathan 5] A titan in the world of myth making and narrative
    historiography, a crypto-theist, and Gibbon clone. Free up bandwidth for
    something useful. Ditch this discredited dinosaur. No serious historians can
    even cite him, so low has his reputation sunk. Toynbeeism has degraded into
    World Systems Theory and is a laughing stock. You whiter on about Toynbee as
    though he is a Messiah and his ten volumes holy books. It is like Goggling
    Jesus loves and asking me to believe that Jesus exists and two that he
    loved.

    [Hermit 6] Substantiate your assertions. I'd suggest you provide a citation
    list to substantiate your assertions about "serious istorians." Or is this a
    true example of a "no true scotsman" fallacy? Let's see? Rephrase:"No
    historians can even cite him, so low has his reputation sunk." The Library
    of Congress online catalog shows 70 hits for him with current printings and
    translations as recently as 1995. A 2001 citation from Professor John
    Freccero at Stanford in 2001 is available at
    http://www.wisdomportal.com/Dante/Dante-Pythagoras.html. Which falsifies the
    rephrased assertion, in that "At least one historian" cites him, leaving
    your "No serious historians" evident for the falsity - and fallacy - it is.

    [Jonathan 6] Bwahahahahaha!!!

    [Jonathan 5] In honour of Jewish new year, Toynbee Schmoynbee*

    [Hermit 6] And the point you are trying to make is?

    [Jonathan 6] Oy Vey!

    [Jonathan 3] You make claims about Toynbee, yet I read he is a buffoon. I
    give you (and Toynbee) the benefit of the doubt, you respond with name
    calling. I am not allowed to mention your bigotries and prejudices in case
    you accuse me of risking your life.

    [Hermit 6] More unfounded assetions about "name calling, bigotries and
    prejudices."

    [Jonathan 6] Self-evident from your texts.

    [Hermit 3] I am probably one of the least bigoted and prejudiced people you
    are likely to meet.

    [Jonathan 5] ROFL!!!! Yeah yeah yeah

    [Hermit 6] Laugh an you would. I haven't even attacked you.

    [Jonathan 6] Nor me you, old pal. I *know* this is just for fun. Practice
    for bigger, real enemies who will come after both of us late r on.

    [Jonathan Davis 1] I find it delightfully ironic that you approving quote
    Toynbee's reference to Islamic universalism -namely the surrendered are all
    equal before Allah (hence no need for other classifications like race or
    nation), yet for Toynbee "the West's universalist pretensions" are
    disgusting.

    [Hermit 6] If I could parse the above, I probably would label it as ad
    hominem, as it appears to attempt to make negative statements about my frame
    of mind. Would you mind repairing the broken grammar so that we can
    determine whether I was correct or not.

    [Jonathan 6] It is a form of shorthand. Intelligible to the intelligent (or
    at least most of them).

    [Hermit 2] Think about what you say - or better, research it. Preferably not
    in a book written by an ahl al-q'itab with his own problems - and writing
    out of field. Who defeated the alchemists and Jews of Medieval Europe? Where
    did they flee? What is the purpose of jizya? Can somebody "conquered" be
    subjected to "Dhimmitude" and "equal in surrender"? I know the answers. Do
    you?

    [Jonathan 3] Yes. The answer is 42. This display of cut and paste
    "learning" does not wash. Scruton crafts superb arguments based on real
    learning. Hint: That is the way you can earn my respect.

    [Hermit 6] More unsubstantiated disparagement. "Scruton crafts superb
    arguments based on real learning." implication, Hermit does not. Reinforced
    by "Hint: That is the way you can earn my respect."

    [Jonathan 6] The I do not need to substantiate jokes. They tend to be
    self-supporting [cue laughter].

    [Hermit 6] Did you respond meaningfully? Did you substantiate your earlier
    assertions?

    [Jonathan 6] They are waiting in the queue behind the enormous backlog of
    yours waiting to be hooked up to facts, arguments or even possibility.

    [Hermit 4] Without understanding that "Dhimmitude" can only occur in people
    who have surrendered (not been conquered!) and that the alchemists and Jews
    of Europe fled the persecution of the Christians to the havens of Moorish
    nations, where they were absorbed into the population, the only difference
    between them and the moors being that they paid a poll tax, jizya, in order
    to make up for the fact that the Muslims donated to charities providing
    social services as a part of the beliefs on a voluntary basis, you wouldn't
    understand how ignorant of Islam your question made you appear.

    [Jonathan 5] You forget your own masters, O' pupil.

    [Hermit 6] Actually, I remember Joe Dees introducing me to the (modern)
    expression "dhimmitude". The concepts behind it were very familiar. And
    unlike Dees, I have read many of the works of Jewish and Moorish authors
    writing in Cairo, in Babylon and in Spain under the Muslims and so know that
    the portrayal you attempt to establish is at best incomplete, at worst
    dishonest. When Samuel ibn Nagdela (i.e. Samuel the Prince, Grand Vizier of
    Granada and Rabinical author) and Rabbi Moses ben Maimon (aka Maimonides)
    court physician and respected as the greatest of the medieval Jewish rabbis
    both wrote of the era as a "Golden Age of Judaism" then your picture is
    distorted.

    [Jonathan 6] Oh look, a glycerine tear for Joe Dees! The rest of your claims
    are filed under "Unsubstantiated" or "Likely Confabulation".

    [Jonathan 5] I posted this on the 3rd October 2001. My how cyclical things
    are. Maybe Toynbee got one thing right?

    [Hermit 6] Maybe.

    [Hermit 4] And I suggest that your comments about Toynbee, and my 'cut and
    paste "learning"' make it appear that you wouldn't recognise "real learning"
    even if somebody force fed you on it. Respect is important, but seeking
    respect from the incapable is the hallmark of a terribly insecure person. So
    you may keep yours, an you will.

    [Jonathan 5] I do not seek your respect, neither do I seek reflected respect
    according to who I champion. You cut an paste verbiage to overwhelm and
    tire. It is a tactic that works on some, fools others. I am immune, and I
    have noticed you have nearly stopped doing it with me. Looks like that of
    training manual works!

    [Hermit 6] And so you continue engaging in "interpreting" what I say, and
    making unsupported assertions of dishonesty and claims to superiority. I
    further notice that my one paragraph, has, courtesy of your assertions and
    the need to attempt to respond, multiplied into pages. And as I usually do
    research what I say, dozens of hours attempting to keep up with your
    barrages of assertion and preventing me from doing many other things. This
    paragraph also provides me the right to ignore you. But I'll finish this
    last rebuttal first.

    [Jonathan 6] Oh look, spade work for an excuse to bail out of the
    discussion. I am pointing out your methods and labelling your tactics. You
    ought to be thanking me damnit!

    [Jonathan Davis 1] I am alarmed that how you are so forgiving and even
    admiring of our deadliest and fastest growing competitor - Islam. Do you
    really mean to side with this militant religion against our secular, Western
    model of politics?

    [Hermit 6] Here, you speak to my state of mind, make assertions about Islam
    which you cannot substantiate, and imply that I am an "enemy of the people."

    [Jonathan 6] I speak of your actions (you are so "forgiving" and even
    "admiring"), I can substantiate what I say about Islam (and have done so
    already) and asked you a question you have not answered. Learning about
    adverbs ought to help you avoid making obvious errors like this.

    [Hermit 2] You shouldn't be alarmed. You certainly shouldn't imagine that
    Islam is deadly - except in a rather boring sense. Like any other belief
    system, its adherents adapt it to fit their situation and justify their
    actions. When living repressed in a brutal environment, it can be used to
    justify suicide bombing.

    [Jonathan 3] Yes. The problem is that actions are often unjustified and
    reasons faulty. Being a pampered fat and rich Saudi can justify attacks on
    towers. The justifications can be as bizarre and they are numerous.

    [Hermit 4] The reasons were clearly articulated. The trouble is not that
    reasons were in short supply, but that the complaints were ignored and the
    causes exacerbated. Have you noticed that some of the "message" of 911 got
    through? The last US combat forces were recently withdrawn from Saudi
    Arabia, and the US has apparently been trying (ineffectively, but trying) to
    do something about their rogue Israeli friends and the Isreali Palestinian
    situation. Your sneering dismissal of bin Laden, whose competence is proven,
    only makes you look silly and is the kind of attitude which tends to lead to
    the kind of situation the US is in today with all the world arrayed against
    her.

    [Jonathan 5] As I noted elsewhere, things are going very well for us (that
    is people like me). Islamic terror is disrupted, hundreds of terrorist
    caught or dead. Whole countries liberated. So much achieved in such a short
    time! As for everyone arranged against the USA, what new? The big guy is
    always the villain (see British Empire). Enmity is not new, only the US
    finally pushing back after 50 years of having to careful because of the
    Soviets. Time to even the score a bit.

    [Hermit 6] I see a great deal of assertion on your part, most of it trivial
    to rebut through reference to any reliable news source. However, as you have
    failed to support a single of your assertions here, they can be dismissed as
    they do not support your arguments.

    [Jonathan 6] You provided an interpretation, I countered with one of my
    own. Your conclusions above were groundless. I do not mean to embarrass you,
    but I think you ought to be reminded of your own statements in this regard.
    According to you, the terrorists had three objectives:

    1. Remove the US from Saudi Arabia,
    2. Remove US protection for Israel,
    3. Prevent the US from "interfering with" Muslim interests.

    1. Now the US has withdrawn troops from Saudi, but continues to be a staunch
    ally. [assessment: Partial success]
    2. The US is more committed than ever to the protection and support of
    Israel. [Assessment: Utter failure]
    3. The US has "interfered" to the tune of two massive invasions and myriad
    other smaller interventions, manipulations and engagements [Assessment:
    Utter failure . Blowback for Bin laden. Achieved the opposite of what he
    intended]

    So there you have it. Bin Laden is probably dead, his objectives failed, his
    people hunted like dogs.

    [Jonathan 5] Who know the real objectives of the WTC attackers?

    [Hermit 6] If it was al Q'aeda, headed by bin Laden that planned and
    executed the attacks on 911 then we have their previous repeated statements
    that their issues revolved around the US declining their offers to move
    against Iraq before the first Gulf War (Hussein being an apostate and his
    secular rule an anathema to al Q'aida) to prevent US troops "desecrating"
    Saudi Arabia, the US declaring al Q'aeda a terrorist organization, the US
    positioning soldiers in Saudi Arabia including after the war, US support for
    Israeli genocide, the US having used and then abandoned the Fedhayin of
    Afghanistan.

    [Jonathan 6] Good guesses, but in true Hermit tradition, let me demand that
    you support your assertions.

    [Jonathan 5] We can only guess. They wanted an isolationist cowered America
    licking he wounds. Instead they and their brethren are getting their arses
    kicked across the globe. Long may it continue.

    [Hermit 6] We don't need to guess. We can read their statements. And
    contrary to your assertion, the CIA, DIA, NSA, MI6 and other authoritive
    bodies have repeatedly warned that anti-American terrorist recruitment is
    surging, and that it is "only a matter of time" before the UK and US are
    attacked again. The UN is warning us that Afghanistan is coming apart at the
    seams, and that Iraqi women "were better off under Hussein." The above can
    be confirmed in "Terrorism and Tyranny: Trampling Freedom, Justice, and
    Peace to Rid the World of Evil" James Bovard, ISBN 1403963681 and "Weapons
    of Mass Deception: The Uses of Propaganda in Bush's War on Iraq" by Sheldon
    Rampton, John C. Stauber, ISBN 1585422762, or more conveniently, at
    www.antiwar.com (which is of course more up-to-date).

    [Jonathan 6] There is a threat, much diminished thanks to recent efforts to
    disrupt the terrorist. There have been multiple foiled attacks. Afghanistan
    is challenging and hopefully it will work out. If not it will be the
    Afghan's fault. Ditto Iraq.

    Incidentally, you amused me by posting an article from the Serbian
    antiwar.com . Talk about established bias! One day I will tell you a little
    secret I heard from a man in Belgrade about it. I will have a look at the
    articles some time. But then again, I have read terrible things about this
    Hermit guy. Why would I trust anything from him or recommended by him?

    [Hermit 2] Just as Christianity justified revolution in England and the
    forcing of China to purchase opium from the English

    [Jonathan 3] The Opium Wars were part of the larger British Empire strategy
    of forcing global trade. It has next to nothing to do with Christianity.

    [Hermit 6] I note that you did not disagree that "Christianity justified
    revolution in England."

    [Jonathan 6] I am not in a position to judge, so I remain neutral. You are
    required to convince me of your claim, so go ahead if you like.

    [Hermit 4] As usual, your pronouncements are utterly wrong.

    [Jonathan 4] As usual, you start with an insulting and false claim. Then you
    fail to follow through with fact or argument.

    [Hermit 6] I have repeatedly provided evidence that demolishes your
    arguments and supports my assertions - including here where I speak to your
    pronouncements and not to you. This is a statement of fact on my part. You
    respond with an accusation of ad hominem, a plethora of assertion and a
    paucity of evidence which is only outstripped by the Whitehouse and
    Whitehall.

    [Jonathan 6] You have repeatedly repeated your own repetitious repetitions.
    You are even trying to borrow my words (paucity) and tactics. It does not
    work on itself. A chimp aping chattering tourists, is not talking no matter
    how much he is convinced he is.

    [Hermit 4] The missionaries were right in the thick of it. Read some Twain
    or search on google for "missionaries opium". Either might open your eyes.
    Look particularly for articles mentioning Robert Morrison and Karl Friedrich
    Gutz both missionaries pushing bibles and opium while employed by the East
    India company along with appeals from "Chinese Christians" for the British
    to act against the Q'ing.

    [Jonathan 4] That Christians were present and profiting as a side effect of
    the action is the "next to nothing" bit. The historical forces driving the
    war was global commerce, not Christianity. I might say the Crusades were
    about commerce because merchants used the secured trade routes ply trade.

    [Hermit 6] Notice my claim here was that "Christianity justified the forcing
    of China to purchase opium from the English." Not that this was the real
    reason. And substantiated my assertion. In the same way as "Destroying
    (non-existent) WMDs (alleged)" and "The war on terror" (which had no
    relation to Hussein) was used to justify a decade long war against Iraq. Not
    that this was the real reason.

    [Jonathan 6] Oh but they did not Hermit. That does not follow from your
    statements.

    [Hermit 6] Please split this to a separate thread and argue the case that
    "Christianity was not used to justify the forcing of China to purchase opium
    from the English", not a strawman of your own devise.

    [Jonathan 6] Why (or how) would I argue for a negative? Make the case and I
    will answer it if there are flaws.

    [Hermit 2] and apartheid lead to the necklacing of teachers by "rational
    atheistic humanists"

    [Jonathan 3] Those teachers were necklaced by bloodlust aroused mobs
    scapegoating.

    [Hermit 4] Deliberately engineered and instigated by the ANC as part of
    their "No education before normalization" campaign to make the country
    ungovernable. The degree of success achieved by this campaign are tragically
    visible today. But the bloodshed was directly attributable to the ANC
    leadership (including the Sainted Mandela).

    [Jonathan 3] Indeed. Point?

    [Hermit 6] That the ANC portrayed itself as "rational atheistic humanists"
    and had the support of others who considered themselves to be "rational
    atheistic humanists." Q.E.D.

    [Jonathan 6] "Rational atheistic humanists" like you? Like the CoV, like
    me? What are you saying here!

    [Hermit 2] and economic crises and belief in racial superiority lead the US
    to justify nuking Japan.

    [Jonathan 3] I don't man to object to your examples. I know it is bad
    manners and distracting, but how can you justify this sort of statement. It
    strikes me as..well..a joke? An economic crisis in 1945? Racial superiority
    justified the bomb? Are you for real?

    [Hermit 4] Economic considerations in the 1920s lead to the isolation of
    Japan and interdiction of her access to raw materials, particularly oil.
    This, together with FDRs strategy to get into the war by provoking Japan
    into attacking America and the Allies lead to the Japanese involvement in WW
    II. Truman, a fundamentalist Christian, whose prejudii and desire for
    "Christian leaders" (which accounts for Chiang, the only Christian warlord
    in China and another fundamentalist Refer e.g.
    http://www.monarch.net/users/miller/ww2/history/allied.html). arguably
    contributed massively to the communist take-over of China and the Korean and
    Vietnamese debacles confided to his diary, "Uncle Harry hates the heathen
    nips, and so do I". Truman, who overrode his staff and the military in
    deciding to nuke Japan, undoubtedly agreed with Fleet Admiral William
    Halsey's regret that the war "ended too soon because there are too many Nips
    left". This has been discussed at great length on the CoV previously.
    Consult our archives. As I mentioned to Jubangalord, I recommend Arthur
    Goddard's "Harry Elmer Barnes Learned Crusader: The New History in Action"
    in order to counter a US-centric education. Review here -
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/rothbard27.html - and the review itself
    is well worth wading through for the gems which it includes (and which are
    not all in the book).

    [Jonathan 5] This is another tactic of yours. Throw a book at someone and
    say "My argument is in there". This does not wash. Your chain of facts is
    too far far too tenuous and the arguments specious. Please, succinctly,
    justify your claim:

    [Hermit 6] "Another tactic" "Throw a book at someone" "the arguments
    specious". What fun. If you cannot see that I attempted to make the argument
    clearly and succinctly above, with supporting references, then no amount of
    rephrasing will be useful within this context - which you yourself described
    as "bad manners and distracting." Instead, if you wish to condense a topic
    which has consumed acres worth of trees, I recommend you start a thread in
    the "Serious Business" forum as not everybody is interested in taking it
    further here.

    [Jonathan 6] In the event I wish to explore conspiracy theories, I will seek
    out competent theorists, but thanks for the offer.

    [Jonathan 5] "Economic crises and belief in racial superiority lead the US
    to justify nuking Japan" Go on then, in your own words.

    [Hermit 6] Having asserted that I should not support my case with
    references, you now demand me to prove it. Do you imagine that this is
    rational?

    [Jonathan 6] Your sources are often worse than you for absence of citation
    and open speculation coyly presented as fact.

    [Hermit 4] I recommend you go to the above review, search for "One of
    Barnes' most important contributions to Cold War Revisionism" and read that
    and the following 4 or 5 paragraphs which pertain to the bombing.

    [Hermit 6] I append the few paragraphs I referenced to the end of this
    reply. Ask yourself why the peace offer, seven months prior to the US nuking
    Japan was not accepted.

    [Jonathan 6] I will have a close look and see if there is any merit to what
    you have said here. Given what I know of your biases (we all have them)
    forgive me if I am sceptical of everything you have to say about America.

    [Hermit 2] When times are better, the very same beliefs might lead to quiet
    discussions over tea and cucumber sandwiches with the Imam.

    [Jonathan 3] Yes. Humans are situational creatures.

    [Hermit 4] So when the situation is ghastly, people react badly. Condemning
    the societies which arise from such situations is not appropriate or
    helpful. Neither is attempting to "defeat" such societies. Only by altering
    the situation can you expect to see any change in the people involved.

    [Jonathan 4] Obviously those people create their own societies. If I
    challenge the cultural assumptions, ignorance or stupidity that underlies
    what makes their society ghastly, it might be seen as defeating their
    society but it is actually defeating their oppressor within.

    [Hermit 6] I think you missed my point. Society is a response to the
    environment, not a primary cause of it (although there is interaction).
    Challenging people leads directly to cognitive dissonance, misunderstanding,
    fear and often hatred. "They" usually don't see an "oppressor within" - that
    is "US" speaking. The CoV does not generally endorse aggressive UTism, as it
    lacks empathy, rationality and vision. So advocating it as a modus is not
    something I would support.

    [Jonathan 6] Society is a the interaction of individuals in an environment.
    Challenging people can have many effects, some positive, some negative,
    Beliefs can be changed. If individuals use the word as an unfair epithet or
    mislabel things as UTism that are not, then that needs to be discouraged and
    corrected.

    [Hermit 2] As a second issue, you need to read the news from time to time.

    [Jonathan 3] On the contrary, I need to read it less. I have such a range of
    sources and feeds that I tire from analysing them all.

    [Hermit 4] Then how do you imagine that the twin debacles, Afghanistan and
    Iraq are doing well, that the threat of terrorism is reduced, or that
    current US strategy has improved the global outlook for peace? e.g. Jonathan
    Davis, "Unilateralism", Reply #2, 2003-09-27 "Everything is working out
    beautifully."?

    [Jonathan 4] Afghanistan and Iraq have been liberated. They are both
    transforming quickly (benchmark this against German in 1946). Terrorism is
    greatly reduced with no major attacks in the west since 9/11. Israel is more
    secure. We are more secure. Teething problems in Iraq and Afghanistan are to
    be expected. I read reports of great work on the ground. Both sets of people
    have a chance now. If they blow it ,it is their own fault - in Afghanistan,
    back to the primitive horror they have he for 2000 years. In Iraq, back to
    despotism - but Western friendly. As good a deal as any. It is up to them.

    [Hermit 6] I see no support here for your assertions, and would suggest that
    this picture is so far from reality as to be delusional, but that would lead
    to further acrimonious exchanges and not further this discussion one whit.
    So again, if you wish to attempt to defend your perspective, I recommend
    that you attempt to do so on its own thread on the Serious Business" forum.

    [Jonathan 6] Your suggestion about defending my perspective is all well and
    good except I have no need to defend my perspective where it is not under
    attack. That is why I am correcting you here, now, where your attacks are
    being answered.

    We differ on how we interpret events. I fully understand your perspective,
    but I just see its faults. You on the other hand cannot even begin to see my
    position so you write it off as delusional. I know that one day, if you
    self-actualize, your anti-American grub will turn into the butterfly of
    benign Occidentalism.

    [Hermit 2] Neither of the two global "B"s (i.e. the smirking chimp and his
    poodle) hide the fact that they were called by a Middle Eastern god to save
    the world from itself. So much for a secular Western model of politics.

    [Jonathan 3] Using puerile labels for Bush and Blair is fine, if a little
    sad. That they think that their actions are ordained in a guess.

    [Hermit 4] Not at all. A month after the World Trade Center attack, World
    Magazine, a conservative Christian publication, quoted Tim Goeglein, deputy
    director of White House public liaison, saying, "I think President Bush is
    God's man at this hour, and I say this with a great sense of humility." Time
    magazine reported that "Privately, Bush even talked of being chosen by the
    grace of God to lead at that moment." The net effect is a theology that
    seems to imply that God is intervening in events, is on America's side, and
    has chosen Bush to be in the White House at this critical moment.
    Belief.net. Even more frightening, "According to Abbas, Bush said: 'God told
    me to strike at al Qaida and I struck them, and then he instructed me to
    strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem
    in the Middle East. If you help me I will act, and if not, the elections
    will come and I will have to focus on them.'" Ha'aretz, 2003-06-26

    [Jonathan 5] Because a flunky kisses constituent arse, it dos not translate
    into Bush or Blair believing they are messiahs.

    [Hermit 6] Which part of "Bush said" do you not understand?

    [Jonathan 6] What part of "anecdotal evidence" don't you understand?

    [Hermit 4] And as for Blair, "Blair, a committed Christian who keeps the
    Bible by his bed, knows he is taking a risk by revealing the importance he
    places on religion in informing his politics. He also knows that many of his
    key officials feel uncomfortable about the central role that God plays in
    his life. There were furrowed brows of consternation when Blair, asked who
    he would answer to for the deaths of British soldiers, replied: 'My Maker'."
    The Guardian

    [Jonathan 5] Again, where does it say Blair believes he is on a mission from
    god?

    [Hermit 6] If his "Maker" is responsible for "the deaths of British
    soldiers", then presumably his "Maker" is also responsible for 'forcing'
    Blair to deploy them in that situation?

    [Jonathan 6] You are presuming too much Hermit. His mind rightly ordered the
    deploying of the troops. His tangential religious beliefs are not part of
    it. I see you are crayoning in links where they do not exists. Hermit moans
    about his inner state being judged (it was not) then proceeds to mind-read
    Blair.

    [Jonathan Davis 1] Your words remind me of something Orwell wrote:

    [Jonathan Davis 1] "why is it that the worst extremes of jingoism and
    racialism have to be tolerated when they come from an Irishman? Why is a
    statement like "My country right or wrong" reprehensible if applied to
    England and worthy of respect if applied to Ireland (or for that matter to
    India)? For there is no doubt that some such convention exists and that
    "enlightened" opinion in England can swallow even the most blatant
    nationalism so long as it is not British nationalism. Poems like "Rule,
    Britannia!" or "Ye Mariners of England" would be taken seriously if one
    inserted at the right places the name of some foreign country, as one can
    see by the respect accorded to various French and Russian war poets to-day."

    [Hermit 2] Actually that could be another example of bigoted jingoism (and
    possibly your cognitive dissonance flaring up again). As a half-Scotsman, I
    reject the idea that England is synonymous with Great Britain! And if you
    had comprehended anything I have written on politics, you would be aware
    that I regard all "nationalistic jingoism" as being equally harmful to
    humans. Indeed, doubly harmful, in that "nationalism" by itself is a curse,
    and "jingoism" a disease of the intellect.

    [Jonathan 3] He does not make them synonymous at all so as a half-Scot you
    let your nationalism cool again. The paucity of objections suggests you
    agree with him.

    [Hermit 6] "Your nationalism" when I reject it is an ad hominem. The
    assertion "The paucity of objections suggests you agree with him" is a
    distortion on your part. I suggest, particularly in the light of, "This was
    written entirely in jest to mock your style and methods. You may have
    detected an irreverent tone in this response.", that you knew both these
    were false when you penned them, and you included them for "annoyance
    value". That does not stop them from being ad hominem.

    [Jonathan 6] That joke got you. I can tell. C'mon, have a laugh about it. Be
    a sport. It was funny.

    [Hermit 4] Not at all. I don't know how you can take "I regard all
    "nationalistic jingoism" as being equally harmful to humans. Indeed, doubly
    harmful, in that "nationalism" by itself is a curse, and "jingoism" a
    disease of the intellect." as agreement.

    [Jonathan 5] You agree because 1. Orwell shares your views, but importantly
    2. The point was about hypocrisy and double standards. You got that right?
    You chose to misinterpret me here didn't you? <Jonathan smiles indulgently>

    [Hermit 6] Repeatedly calling your opponent a liar is as good a way to lose
    an argument as any.

    [Jonathan 6] I am an expert on how to win arguments, and I know that one of
    the best ways not to lose is to be right in the first place.

    [Hermit 4] Indeed, it speaks directly to either the aforementioned
    'cognitive dissonance', insufficient intellect to comprehend a clear
    expostulation of my opinion, or a deepseated intellectual dishonesty. Like
    to make a choice?

    [Jonathan 5] I am not one of you claque, libel to fall for this old trick.

    [Hermit 6] Was this supposed to mean something?

    [Jonathan 6] I will not fall for your obvious complex question gambit
    (mocked below).

    [Jonathan 5] Incidentally, do you still scratch your piles with sandpaper or
    has your anal fissure driven you to apply caustic soda? <wink>

    [Hermit 6] "Winks" don't generally exclude ad hominem. And this one was
    typical.

    [Jonathan 6] Caustic soda huh. Must be bad.

    [Jonathan Davis 1] As for you Hermit, oppugnancy is damaging you. Perhaps
    "surrender" is what you really need?

    [Hermit 7] You can't validly tell your opponent what is, and is not good for
    him (you can only comment on his arguments).

    [Jonathan 6] Yes I can.

    [Hermit 2] Despite it having become the norm in American politics, your
    diagnosis appears as flawed as the idea of the inmates running the asylum.
    All right thinking people recognise that the world is neither black nor
    white, but a rather attractive shade of grey. Perhaps it is difficult to
    recognise when you are running around with beams in your eyes. Maybe an
    optician could assist you?

    [Jonathan 3] [Side Note: "All right thinking people" - So many kooky
    conspiracy theories, fallacies and extremist rants have this marker imbedded
    in them it is a useful shortcut for discarding bunk at the scanning phase.
    Simply scan for it and if found, hit delete. ]

    [Hermit 6] You cannot validly imply that your opponent is a kooky conspiracy
    theorist, engaging in fallacies and extremist rants without support.

    [Jonathan 6] But I did so *with support*. I just pointed out the near
    obvious.

    [Jonathan 3] Again, irony creeps into our discussion. No sooner have you
    reminded me of your being Scottish than you commit the "No True Scotsman
    Fallacy". Priceless.

    [Hermit 6] As above, you can't make unsubstantiated assertions. Responded to
    below.

    [Jonathan 6] Were you ever a bookmakers clerk?

    [Hermit 4] You have to be asserting a presumption that that the following
    statement is incorrect whenever you assert a fallacy. In other words, for
    the "all true scotsman" fallacy to be present, the assertion must fail when
    it is reexpressed removing "all true" preamble. So reexpressing the
    statement as, "Thinking people recognise that the world is neither black nor
    white, but a rather attractive shade of grey." Unless you aver that this is
    not the case, your assertion of fallacy here is as faulty as all of your
    other assertions.

    [Jonathan 5] Thinking people may well find that there are certainly
    contraposed and axiomatic absolutes through relation (black and white). You
    have presumed all along that Scruton's book set the world in terms of black
    and white. That it is based on the authors view of the world in absolute
    terms. You are utterly wrong and your unthinking attack based on prejudice
    and spite has cost you plenty of time and effort. It is a fitting
    punishment.

    [Hermit 6] You may comment on my argument, "utterly wrong" and others will
    make their own decisions of the validity of your assertion. You cannot
    assert that it is based on "prejudice and spite" because you cannot know my
    motivation,

    [Hermit 6] Did you just steal another seven hours from me. Maybe you are
    correct and I am some kind of a fool. Nevertheless, while you may have, as
    you claimed, attempted to ape "my methods", you have, if you will pardon the
    observation, apparently not comprehending them, done so very, very badly.

    [Jonathan 6] So in summary: Hermit launched a baseless attack on a book he
    had not read and ended up having to argue for hours to justify himself. The
    book remains unscathed and is still highly recommended as a superb read [
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1882926811/ ] .

    Oh yes, Hermit, the man's name is Scruton, not Scrunton. Could that account
    for your misunderstandings?

    Kind regards

    Jonathan

    P.S Any news on my sanctions? They make me feel homesick you see...