virus: Re:The Disciplinary Process of the Church of Virus

From: Mermaid (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 08:23:52 MDT

    [Hermit]Bear in mind as you read this, that the "Disciplinary Process of the Church of Virus" does not aspire to "judgement", is not based in law and does not impose punishments. Instead, it is based on establishing community relationships and is intended to make our community a pleasant place for all of its memebers, through a process which insists on appropriate behaviour and a graduated scale of sanctions intended to persuade members to conform to desired and expected behavior.

    [Mermaid]I see the words 'sanctions' and 'appropriate behaviour' and yet you insist that its not about punishment or judgement. When members are 'persuaded to conform to desired and expected behaviour', how is not based on law?

    [Mermaid]I understand that the members have a duty towards CoV. What about the members' expectations of CoV?

    [Mermaid]I suggest that we have an IRC chat preceding the Disciplinary Process chat that discusses in depth about the expectations and needs of the members who form CoV. Before we agree to conform to 'desired and expected behaviour', I think we need to know if there is any compatibility between members and CoV. Rest assured, the second IRC chat will be less chaotic and rewarding for the members if they are comforted with the knowledge that their voluntary conformity is for something valuable they recieve from CoV.

    [Hermit]In addition, once a member of the congregation's reputation is sufficiently high, they are able to discuss "management issues" in the Cathedral section of the BBS and contribute to the development of policy on the Wiki.

    [Mermaid]Management issues pertaining to what? How we are managed? i.e. how will non conformity be punished and who will be the language nazi? OR management issues like: What is the function of CoV in the real world? How are we *really* competing with other religions? Are we reaching out to others or does the general populace find us by a random google search?

    [Mermaid]If its the latter, shouldnt we discuss those issues first before this proposed Disciplinary Process IRC chat?

    [Mermaid]I think there has to be other issues to be discussed before the Disciplinary Process is discussed. I, for one, would like to know what I am getting back in return before I sign up to be tried for non conformity to desired and expected behaviour.

    [Hermit]Finally a note on the naming of this topic. While today, discipline often means what is done to other people - and in such a way that they probably won't enjoy it, in earlier times discipline refered mainly to a way of living. Living in such a way as to benefit yourself and your community and maximising your ability to reach your potential. This is the form of discipline that the Church of Virus hopes to achieve.

    [Mermaid]So, in earlier times and according to the earlier meaning, discipline is voluntary and 'understood' rather than imposed...right?

    ----
    This message was posted by Mermaid to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29437>