virus: Re:The Disciplinary Process of the Church of Virus

From: Hermit (virus@hermit.net)
Date: Sat Oct 04 2003 - 15:55:58 MDT

    [Jonathan Davis] You failed to understand me and your post is too far off the mark to help you get it. I will exert my influence elsewhere.

    [Hermit] Is this meant to communicate something?

    [Jonathan Davis] I suppose you might say that I know of a certain member who has activated the disciplinary procedure for what I consider a petty and possibly spiteful reasons. I consider this abuse. The system is obliged to consider this persons claims, however silly, and that ties up resources of reputable members. I would like to see the system improved to limit this sort of situation.

    [Hermit] Have you ever heard of the "broken Windows theory"? It is a proven police methodology. It is because of this that I would like to see every infraction, however small, dealt with by means of the "Disciplinary Process." Usually, when valid grounds are established, only resulting in an "acknowledgement." This makes it not only unneccesary for a person perceiving a "swipe" at them to respond, but also means that they too will consider an on-list response carefully, lest it result in a "Disciplinary Process" being instituted for them.

    [Hermit] Within a very short time, the members will tidy up their acts, and our environment will become a much more pleasant place for all, enabling us to pursue our larger goals more effectively. A highly recommended article which explains the psychology behind this is "Broken Windows" (http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/crime/windows.htm).

    [Jonathan Davis] On a personal level, your apparent deep involvement in the system makes me distrust it.

    [Hermit] The request was to keep the replies impersonal, so your comment is off-topic. In addition, while you are welcome to hold any opinions you like, expressing negative opinions of other members is not part of what this community stands for.

    ----
    This message was posted by Hermit to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29437>