RE: virus: Re:The Disciplinary Process of the Church of Virus

From: Jonathan Davis (jonathan.davis@lineone.net)
Date: Sun Oct 05 2003 - 16:54:27 MDT

    -----Original Message-----
    From: owner-virus@lucifer.com [mailto:owner-virus@lucifer.com] On Behalf Of
    Hermit
    Sent: 04 October 2003 22:56
    To: virus@lucifer.com
    Subject: virus: Re:The Disciplinary Process of the Church of Virus

    [Jonathan Davis] You failed to understand me and your post is too far off
    the mark to help you get it. I will exert my influence elsewhere.

    [Hermit] Is this meant to communicate something?

    [Jonathan 2] Yes, you failed to understand me. Your post is too far off the
    mark to help you get it. I will exert my influence elsewhere.

    [Jonathan Davis] I suppose you might say that I know of a certain member who
    has activated the disciplinary procedure for what I consider a petty and
    possibly spiteful reasons. I consider this abuse. The system is obliged to
    consider this persons claims, however silly, and that ties up resources of
    reputable members. I would like to see the system improved to limit this
    sort of situation.

    [Hermit] Have you ever heard of the "broken Windows theory"? It is a proven
    police methodology. It is because of this that I would like to see every
    infraction, however small, dealt with by means of the "Disciplinary
    Process." Usually, when valid grounds are established, only resulting in an
    "acknowledgement." This makes it not only unneccesary for a person
    perceiving a "swipe" at them to respond, but also means that they too will
    consider an on-list response carefully, lest it result in a "Disciplinary
    Process" being instituted for them.

    [Hermit] Within a very short time, the members will tidy up their acts, and
    our environment will become a much more pleasant place for all, enabling us
    to pursue our larger goals more effectively. A highly recommended article
    which explains the psychology behind this is "Broken Windows"
    (http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/crime/windows.htm).

    [Jonathan 2] I like the article on my blog last year [
    http://www.ukpoliticsmisc.org.uk/weblog/archive/2002_10_25_old.php#85601645
    ] . Coincidentally, It was October of 2002. Just under one year ago.

    I recommend you read a criticism of the theory (for balance):

    Policing Disorder - Can we reduce serious crime by punishing petty offences?
    [http://www.bostonreview.net/BR27.2/harcourt.html].

    [Jonathan Davis] On a personal level, your apparent deep involvement in the
    system makes me distrust it.

    [Hermit] The request was to keep the replies impersonal, so your comment is
    off-topic. In addition, while you are welcome to hold any opinions you like,
    expressing negative opinions of other members is not part of what this
    community stands for.

    [Jonathan 2] I will decide for myself what this community stands for.
    Furthermore, my comment was a personal aside to you about an attitude of
    mine. It is a relevant truth that may aid your understanding of me and so
    further our goals of empathy, vision and reason.

    Kind regards

    Jonathan