virus: Re:The Disciplinary Process of the Church of Virus

From: Mermaid (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Sat Oct 04 2003 - 20:04:14 MDT

    I am hoping that this is my final contribution to this thread...

    I just read the discussion on disownment ..in the wiki...may I request you to conduct further virus related policy changes in #virus? I have been critical about the disownment and DiP right from the beginning and I dont remember being part of that discussion(the one linked from the wiki page) in #virus. I dont remember seeing it in the #virus logs either.

    Re page history of DiP on the wiki

    http://virus.lucifer.com/wiki/DisciplinaryProcess?action=PageHistory

    The entire wiki entry is edited by you. Its not like I am dictating what has to go into the wiki or what you should add to the wiki. Its your idea and something you wanted to write about, which is ok by me...but I think I have to protest when it is imposed upon me and the rest of the community....It seems to me that there was sizable criticism of DiP and the Disownment policy elsewhere outside of the wiki going by the Page History. I know this because I protested. Right from the beginning. One of the reasons I joined the Meridion is to give voice to my protests. Please hear me out now.

    The Disownment was passed by vote to deal with one particular miscreant, imo. It came to a point where Disownment seemed to be the only way to get rid of a certain unpleasantness. This neednt have been the case. I disagreed it with this then and I disagree with it now.

    Self monitoring behaviour should arise out of respect and not fear. Any system has loopholes and so does DiP/Disownment. Coercing members to behave using a system that is open to abuse instead of holding the members to their integrity and self respect. We want members who are honest and sincere to the goals of CoV. We want members to watch their words and mind their actions ON THEIR OWN ACCORD because they care for CoV and not because they'd be disowned or 'disciplined. We can identify those who insist on making mischief. We may be a lot of things, but stupid isnt one of them. We dont want members who'd dodge to avoid getting caught by the rules and still have their way.

    This is my proposal. I am not saying that DiP needs to be gotten rid of permanently. We just dont need it now. Let it stay in the wiki. We can refer to it in cases of unimaginable and terrible destruction that some think will befall on CoV. In simpler, less offensive language, hopefully.

    For the chat...Instead of discussing DiP, lets discuss what the year 2004 holds for CoV. Lets draw a plan based on the common goals. Identifying a goal is not an achievement. Following it through is...After deciding on virian tasks for the year 2004, lets form committes. Meridion members can sign up for the different tasks. They WILL be held accountable. There WILL be deadlines. Honestly, I dont give a shit about people's personal view, political stance, choice of language etc in the bbs. The random right wing stance on the BBS doesnt not reflect who we are...neither does a drunken post ranting against another member....nor does paranoid rants about 'dangerous enemies'...

    these are personal point of views...they have a right to exist. personal opinions stem from personal experiences and how each individual reacts to his environment, stress etc....that is not a reason to punish/disown/discipline anyone..even if they share goals with the url that states the common virian goal....Our goals and especially how we implement them does reflect who we are...anyone who creates a stink in an exceptionally noticeable way can be silenced by the sheriff. The conduct of Meridion members will be mirrored by their ratings. As we finish various sections of each of our assignments, there has to be a way to reflect it in the Meridion. As Meridion belongs to Lucifer, I will leave it up to him to design the new brownie point system.

    Lets get that in our next chat...lets draw *specific* goals...lets form committees...we'll record our progress monthly..maybe bi-monthly or quarterly...

    The other day, I was pondering on this saying..An idle mind is the devil's workshop...err..I hope not....

    You are tiring me out with your long responses. To be honest, I barely finished reading the entire Colostomy post. So instead of going round and round and heading nowhere, I am ending this here. I think I have said everything I wanted to say. I have nothing to more to add.

    ----
    This message was posted by Mermaid to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29437>