RE: virus: Re:The Disciplinary Process of the Church of Virus

From: Jonathan Davis (jonathan.davis@lineone.net)
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 03:35:11 MDT

    -----Original Message-----
    From: owner-virus@lucifer.com [mailto:owner-virus@lucifer.com] On Behalf Of
    Hermit
    Sent: 06 October 2003 01:03
    To: virus@lucifer.com
    Subject: virus: Re:The Disciplinary Process of the Church of Virus

    [Hermit 2] Have you ever heard of the "broken Windows theory"? It is a
    proven police methodology. It is because of this that I would like to see
    every infraction, however small, dealt with by means of the "Disciplinary
    Process." Usually, when valid grounds are established, only resulting in an
    "acknowledgement." This makes it not only unneccesary for a person
    perceiving a "swipe" at them to respond, but also means that they too will
    consider an on-list response carefully, lest it result in a "Disciplinary
    Process" being instituted for them.

    [Hermit 2] Within a very short time, the members will tidy up their acts,
    and our environment will become a much more pleasant place for all, enabling
    us to pursue our larger goals more effectively. A highly recommended article
    which explains the psychology behind this is "Broken Windows"
    (http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/crime/windows.htm).

    [Jonathan Davis 3] I like the article on my blog last year
    http://www.ukpoliticsmisc.org.uk/weblog/archive/2002_10_25_old.php#85601645
    . Coincidentally, It was October of 2002. Just under one year ago.

    [Hermit 4] A competent article. Incidently, as you would have found had you
    gone there, the same article as I refered to. And the first to appear in a
    google search. So a lot of people obviously feel the same way about it.

    [Jonathan 4] linked was replaced with like by As-U-Type . So the sentence
    was supposed to read "I linked to the article on my blog last year", thus I
    was saying, I linked to THE SAME article last year.

    [Jonathan Davis 3] I recommend you read a criticism of the theory (for
    balance): Policing Disorder - Can we reduce serious crime by punishing
    petty offences? http://www.bostonreview.net/BR27.2/harcourt.html.

    [Hermit 4] Also a good article, but not relevant to the circumstances here.
    Rather than a crackdown to prevent "serious crime" (which fortunately can't
    happen here), we have established a "community-librarian (to extend the
    parable - police is so authoritarian) relationship exercise" with the intent
    not of "arresting" more "offenders", but of reducing the inevitable
    progression of "disorder" to "more disorder" and by intervening early,
    reducing the need to invoke the only effective sanctions - other than
    community disapproval - we have - to dissassociate the community from the
    offender either through silencing or disownment.

    [Jonathan 4] I agree that intervention is a sound but I have observed that
    disorder in this forum almost always involves more than one individual,
    usually locked in a dispute and contributing to the problem in different
    ways. Rather than focusing on individual "offenders", I think we might look
    at ways of breaking unhelpful cycles of communication. "Offenders" are born
    of situations which can be prevented or stopped fairly easily. Post facto
    "sanctions" may be useful for cases where spite or malice are involved and
    the community simply wants to boot an obviously deleterious offender, but
    they are less effective where the wrongdoing is not agreed on or based on
    provocation. In such cases - in my experience the majority - the situation
    giving rise to offensive behaviour needs to be disrupted. It is only if
    those efforts are ignored or violated that the more serious personal
    sanctioning procedures ought to be activated.

    The danger is that individuals may (and in my opinion have) used the appeals
    for sanctions glibly, reducing them to little more that playground yells for
    teacher-to-punish-because-he-called-me-a-name.

    I will be reading through your thread with Mermaid to try and catch up with
    where the debate has gone over the weekend.

    [Jonathan Davis 1] On a personal level, your apparent deep involvement in
    the system makes me distrust it.

    [Hermit 4] The request was to keep the replies impersonal, so your comment
    is off-topic. In addition, while you are welcome to hold any opinions you
    like, expressing negative opinions of other members is not part of what this
    community stands for.

    [Jonathan Davis 2] I will decide for myself what this community stands for.

    [Hermit 4] The community has already decided this, and instituted a process
    to determine if those standards are being adhered to - and appropriate

    [Jonathan 4] I do not consider you a community spokesman nor do I consider
    you an authority on what this community stands for. Your statement was
    noted, but as I said, I will make my own determination as to what this
    community stands for.

    [Jonathan Davis 3] Furthermore, my comment was a personal aside to you about
    an attitude of mine. It is a relevant truth that may aid your understanding
    of me and so further our goals of empathy, vision and reason.

    [Hermit 4] A letter sent to some 1600+ people, and appearing on a public BBS
    is never personal, and nobody needs to be clairevoyant to determine your
    "attitude" or the fact that public spats, particularly when completely
    unneccesary due to your assertion that it was "all in fun" (i.e. deliberate)
    are extremely unattractive.

    [Jonathan 4] All posts are public, my comment a personal aside to you (which
    I suspect has already helped your empathy). You are right about public
    spats. They are unattractive, so perhaps you will take your own advice and
    stop participating in them. After all, the common denominator in most of
    these spats seems to be you: Joe Dees/Hermit, Bill Roh/Hermit, Demon/Hermit,
    Jonathan/Hermit and lately Mermaid/Hermit.

    [Hermit 4] Please stop.

    [Jonathan 4] Yes, please stop.

    Let me reiterate: Thanks for all your work on this. I value it.

    Kind regards,

    Jonathan