RE: virus: Primitive society violence and murder rates. was Re: :The Disciplinary Process of the Church of Virus

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 01:31:05 MDT

    > [henson]I think a good case could be made for primitive societies
    being
    > more violent than non primitive societies. They certainly are at the
    > level of violence seen by the murder rates.
    [Blunderov]
    A lot depends on what the word murder means I think. The subject
    interest me very much = vote of thanks to both Henson and Mermaid for an
    absorbing discussion.

    I found this;

    http://norlonto.net/index.cfm/action/reviews.view/itemID/96/type/rvwsBoo
    ks

    Archeology of Violence
    by Pierre Clastres
    a review by Gyrus
    Recommended
    Published by Semiotext(e), 1994
    ISBN: 0936756950

    by Pierre Clastres
    a review by Gyrus
    Recommended
    Published by Semiotext(e), 1994
    ISBN: 0936756950
    <snip>
    Clastres argues that most cultures referred to as "primitive" in fact
    choose their mode of living together. They are suspicious of any
    evolution of this social structure, hence the term "traditional
    cultures" - cultures whose social and religious laws are embedded in a
    sophisticated oral tradition traced back to "the ancestors", mythical
    antecedents who are seen to originate the eternally repeating pattern of
    current society.

    This formulation, like all generalisations, contains its own prejudices,
    but let's stick with Clastres here for a moment. What is this social
    structure that resists change, presumably well enough to have survived
    in some form from the palaeolithic to the present day (just)? And what
    is the change that is resisted? In short, the social structure is a
    society without a State. And the absence of a State is, in Clastres'
    view, no accident. It is precisely the State that is resisted.

    The State is defined by Clastres as "a separate organ of power", that
    is, something that separates social power from society itself. Instead
    of collective self-government, society is split into Masters and
    Subjects, the Dominators and the Dominated. This split, Clastres argues,
    is seen, or felt, to be the prime evil by primitive societies, the
    beginning of the end for social egalitarianism and true democracy, to be
    warded off at all costs.

    And how is the formation of the State resisted? In a word, war. Here we
    need to see that the nature of war itself changed along with the
    transformation of social modes. "Primitive" warfare is a different
    matter from "classical" or "modern" warfare. Drawing on Marshall
    Sahlin's work, which showed that most primitive societies exist in a
    state of affluence - where a few hours' work a day will suffice to
    provide all necessities, where economic surplus and profit are
    meaningless - Clastres argues that primitive war has little to do with
    competition for resources. The major resource apparently fought for
    among the Yanomami is women and children, but given that peaceful
    exchanges can also serve to ensure such genetic distribution, Clastres
    argues that something else is essential to primitive war: social
    autonomy and the self-determination of the social group....

    Warriors also hold a less privileged position in primitive society than
    we may suppose. Clastres takes pains to elucidate the distinction
    between power (the ability to effect social control) and prestige
    (honour, or glory) in primitive societies, where warriors gain the
    latter through their frequent raids on other villages and defence of
    their own, but are prevented from holding the former.

    So, a perpetual state of war exists between primitive groups, a war
    which certainly has casualties, but which, in Clastres' view, serves to
    maintain the vital self-government of each group. Should this
    dispersive, "centrifugal" war cease, he reasons, the exchanges and
    friendly connections between disparate social groupings would inexorably
    lead to a "centripetal" evolution towards a larger social union, a
    drawing together... and the impossibility of self-determination, an
    inevitable descent into social division, the splitting of power away
    from society itself: the State.
    </snip>

    [Blunderov]Also worth bearing in mind, perhaps, is the possibility that
    death may have not held the same meaning that it does now. Deep in the
    ooze of ancient religion is the notion of 'the afterlife'. It is
    possible to imagine that the afterlife was a very real place to ancient
    peoples; to them, perhaps, a plain fact that everyman could observe for
    himself and perhaps nothing like the 'theoretical' possibility which is
    haggled over in modern times.

    I wonder whether it could be argued from this that the origins of crime
    are contained in the State itself. That at its Hollywood heart of
    darkness lies a glamorous resistance to the State, a sexy partisan
    hiding in the mountains?
    Best Regards