Re:virus: Primitive society violence and murder rates. was Re: :The Disciplinary Process of the Church of Virus

From: Mermaid (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Sun Oct 05 2003 - 23:16:44 MDT

    [henson]I think a good case could be made for primitive societies being more violent than non primitive societies. They certainly are at the level of violence seen by the murder rates.

    [Mermaid]I have made it very clear why this reasoning has more holes than swiss cheese on it. Ahh..well..

    [henson]You are welcome to point me to studies or other evidence that indicates there is a lower level of violence in primitive societies.

    [Mermaid]I never made such a claim. I am just saying that the opposite may not be true given the available information because we do not start with the assumption, other things being equal.

    [henson]There is possible evidence for less of one kind of violence in primitive societies compared to non primitive ones. It was found that bone collections from
    primitive societies show almost none of the "bone bruises" you see on children who have been abused today. But as the article pointed out, this might have been due to the ease of killing unwanted kids early.

    (Sorry, I could not find the article. Might not be on the net.)

    [Mermaid]An aside. For some reason, the (alleged)child sacrifices of Carthage comes to mind. Aristotle, in one of his works, praised Carthage as a fully functioning democracy. When Carthage became a full fledged democracy, it was said that the common man could do what was once the unique privilege of royalty. The sacrifice of children to god.

    ----
    This message was posted by Mermaid to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29457>