Re:virus: Primitive society violence and murder rates. was Re: :The Disciplinary Process of the Church of Virus

From: Mermaid (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 09:27:14 MDT

    The references to blank slate, the noble savage and sundry statistics are all interesting. I feel that I have to make the point that discussion began with henson's assertion that primitive societies are MORE violent than non primitive societies for which the proof lies in the extrapolation of murder figures etc. It was established way earlier during the discussion that primitive societies are NOT the noble savages, child-like, peaceful that earlier anthropologists imagined them to be.

    this new thread used to be part of a older thread...for the earlier discussions, please refer to:

    http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29437;start=15

    henson: reply#15.

    thank you for all the replies! an aside: i noticed that there are many mentioned blank slate...:) please read it if you havent already! its an interesting even if its a somewhat tedious book. sometime last month(i think) the folks at www.booktalk.org invited steven pinker to join the book discussion. the author who graced the previous chat was richard dawkins for unweaving the rainbow. It was an interesting, casual, but brief chat...the book for the months of sept and oct is red queen by matt ridley. we dont know if matt ridley can make it to the author chat.

    ----
    This message was posted by Mermaid to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29457>