virus: Re:The Disciplinary Process of the Church of Virus

From: Hermit (virus@hermit.net)
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 07:28:23 MDT

    Elvensage stated (without supporting why):

    1 The main problem I have with the system is that I do not think it is a system that the majority of the CoV really agrees on when it comes down to it.
    2 I think that our definition of what is unwanted is all different,
    3 yet I think that what a few see as "unwanted" is what is going to become censored.

    He forgot to tell us why he thought this. Please do Elvensage.

    After all, your words raise some questions:

    1 Does Elvensage have some mechanism for determining what "the majority" of the CoV "really" agrees on? I thought that all we knew was that those who voted liked it. Repeatedly. I wonder how Elvensage knows what the 1600 odd non-voters like? Even granted that this claim is true, and even granted that they care what is said here, and even granted that they agree with Elvensage, who seems to disagree but hasn't yet explained why, should we take the apathetic uninvolved's views into account?

    2 This is possible. Let's check. I think that if somebody is made unhappy by what somebody else says about others, that we should think very carefully whether we want what was said on our forums (not that this would mean that it is automatically going to be banned). We think that after a while, people will learn the new patterns and adopt less hostile communication styles. So the primary objective is to prevent verbal attacks which are perceived as unpleasant and hostile. Does Elvensage think that such all too frequent personal attacks should be permitted with impunity?

    3 Elvensage thinks that the "unwanted" will be "censored". I wonder why he thinks that. Perhaps he would explain:
    3.1 exactly where he sees the mechanism for "censorship"
    3.2 why he thinks that a private organization with clearly defined goals should permit its platforms to be used to destroy its goals (by making them unattractive)? Which other organizations can Elvensage name that do this?
    3.3 For example, does Elvensage know of churches that encourage people to spray graffiti on their notice boards and heckle the congregation?
    3.4 Whether he thinks that 3.3 is a good idea,
    3,5 Whether a private organization can practice censorship.
    3.6 What exactly Elvensage sees as "censorship"

    Hermit.

    ----
    This message was posted by Hermit to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29437>