RE: virus: Re:The Disciplinary Process of the Church of Virus

From: Jake Sapiens (every1hz@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 03:41:17 MDT

    I haven't read every message in this thread, but generally I find Mermaid
    and Hermit arguing about the degree of control we wish to exert over the
    things people say and the ways they act to each other in CoV. I would
    point out that continually referring to this as a "disciplinary process"
    comes across as needlessly condescending and to me implies an excess in
    attempting to control others. I would rather refer to it as simply a
    "moderation process". Discipline certainly stands out as something that we
    can and would value for the sake of self improvement, but once we have
    passed childhood we humans generally don't seem to respond very positively
    to external attempts to impose discipline. We do tend to become more
    disciplined as individuals when we find a purpose to do so, and tend remain
    truer to the disciplines we have nurtured ourselves rather than those we
    have adopted to oblige others. I guess I could be wrong about that, but
    that seems to reflect my experiences anyway.

    I don't find as imperative as Hermit seems to imply that we really get down
    and start parsing out all "rudeness" however subtle from our posts or else
    face the discipline of the community. I don't say this as any defense of
    rudeness, but just as a reasonable acknowledgement of both the unnecessity
    and the impracticality of such an undertaking. That said, I think we can
    definitely address some of the lower, dumber, more obviously explicit,
    schoolyard/bathroom cases of insult and ad hominem. I guess the idea for
    me simplifies down to a couple of principles #1) that if you intend to
    insult someone, that you should at least expend the effort to wrap it up
    intelligently enough so it doesn't seem so obvious to the casual browser
    even if it translates into a really nasty blow for those paying close
    enough attention to the exchange. If one must flame, flame like and adult,
    don't insult like a child. #2) That if you follow #1) it will result in
    your insulting people less in the first place since to do so takes a lot
    more mental effort than simply calling someone an asshole, dipshit, idiot,
    etc. . . That way, even when you do turn up the flames, it won't come off
    as offensively to those more casual browsers who may have just walked in
    the door so to speak, and may not yet share what ever righteous indignation
    you may have developed through the history of your exchange.

    In a sentence: if you must get ugly, just make sure at the beginning, at
    the middle, as well as at the end of the day that you at least maintain a
    minimal appearance of maturity through it.

    We have people wandering in all the time so it helps to keep this "in the
    middle of things" perspective in mind. When you do so, you need not do so
    not out of any kindness for your enemy, as you really do this out
    consideration for everyone else who has to share the same cyberspace with
    both of you. I don't think that trying to enforce discipline will get us
    where we need to go. In fact I could see how obsessing about this too much
    can have a chilling effect, where in our zeal to become pleasant we
    collapse into triviality as more interesting and important discussions
    simply become too dangerous and prone to occasional bouts of "rudeness".
    We can collectively deal with the more obviously disruptive behaviors (like
    flooding and/or spamming-types of activities), and the more childish
    insults without having to indulge ourselves in some extreme community
    regimen of thought and attitude policing.

    Just my few thoughts on it.

    Love,

    -Jake

    subjective issues is precisely why we don't have "laws" but instead rely on
    "reconciliation committees" to determine whether people have crossed the
    borderlines.

    > [Mermaid]Sure. But its a tad too much when it comes to dictating on how
    people should talk. People's words and actions speak for themselves. They
    will be judged accordingly by the members of the community. Their
    reputation will be directly affected by their actions and words.

    > [Hermit]The primary intent of the Disciplinary Process being to ensure
    that the CoV is an attractive and pleasant environment. People who wish to
    be "creatively rude" to others, need to seek other places to do it.

    > [Mermaid]So, the DiP is to make CoV look 'clean'. Only those who can
    adhere and conform to 'desirable and accepted behaviour' need apply to CoV?
    And you imagine that this will attract valuable membership? Those who are
    willing to conform to 'desired and acceptable behaviour' dictated by
    DiP...not to mention willing to sign a written apology to be accepted in
    the group after someone high up finds the person 'rude' and subjects them
    to DiP proceedings?..Really..cant you see the blind stupidity of a concept
    like DiP? Its glaringly obvious why its a bad idea....

    > btw...regarding you misquoting me...effective, but transparent tactic to
    lure me back into this discussion...

    > ----
    > This message was posted by Mermaid to the Virus 2003 board on Church of
    Virus BBS.

    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=294
    37>
    > ---
    > To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to
    <http://www.lucifer.com/cgi-bin/virus-l>

    --- Jake Sapiens
    --- every1hz@earthlink.net