Re: virus: Re:The Disciplinary Process of the Church of Virus

From: Kirk Steele (ksteele42@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 07:41:53 MDT

    Mermaid <hidden@lucifer.com> wrote:

    [Hermit] Despite your brave defense of rudeness,

    [Mermaid]I am not defending rudeness anymore than I would defend freedom of expression.

    [Hermit]...it does not make for an attractive environment or pleasant reading.

    [Mermaid]Are we going for attractive environment or pleasant reading as our 'common goal'?

    [kirksteele] Civil Discourse is a gateway to the effective operation of any forum. We seek civil discourse as the primary means of ensuring effective communication here within CoV.

    [Hermit]It also leads to rapid escalation. The difficulty of defining subjective issues is precisely why we don't have "laws" but instead rely on "reconciliation committees" to determine whether people have crossed the borderlines.

    [Mermaid]Sure. But its a tad too much when it comes to dictating on how people should talk. People's words and actions speak for themselves. They will be judged accordingly by the members of the community. Their reputation will be directly affected by their actions and words.

    [kirksteele] The DiP is the Enforcement Half of the Meridion System. Meridion castes (sic) a vote, DiP enforce subsequent sanctions.

    [Hermit]The primary intent of the Disciplinary Process being to ensure that the CoV is an attractive and pleasant environment. People who wish to be "creatively rude" to others, need to seek other places to do it.

    [kirksteele] Clarification: Ex "Broken Windows" analogy the predicate of the DiP is to:"Establish a common ground of civil discourse on aprapo topics that forward the 'Pricipia Viriaii' ."

    [Mermaid]So, the DiP is to make CoV look 'clean'. Only those who can adhere and conform to 'desirable and accepted behaviour' need apply to CoV? And you imagine that this will attract valuable membership? Those who are willing to conform to 'desired and acceptable behaviour' dictated by DiP...not to mention willing to sign a written apology to be accepted in the group after someone high up finds the person 'rude' and subjects them to DiP proceedings?..Really..cant you see the blind stupidity of a concept like DiP? Its glaringly obvious why its a bad idea....

    [kirksteele] Second Vector forwards the following as MANDATORY READING for any would be participants in the "DiPate": http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/crime/windows.htm

    btw...regarding you misquoting me...effective, but transparent tactic to lure me back into this discussion...
    [kirk] ...it seems to have worked? (curious)

    ----
    This message was posted by Mermaid to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    ---
    To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to