RE: virus: Two requests for tonight debate

From: Jonathan Davis (jonathan.davis@lineone.net)
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 18:40:33 MDT

    So much for me being in bed by 00:40!

    "We seek useable and attractive forums". If this is the simple aim then
    maybe a simple solution of an (elected?) moderator(s) sufficient. Perhaps a
    system of nominated referees is preferable*. I like the idea of a trusted
    ombudsman with the option of an appeal to the council. I think we might look
    at the Roman Tribune for an example of what I mean.

    It seems to me that the procedure is now presented as a solution for day to
    day interventions and disputes whereas I see it as something reserved for
    serious problems and offenders. Given that its ultimate sanction is
    disownment, it seems to have massive scope. I see it sold as a near
    toothless and gentle way of keeping forums useable and attractive yet it
    ultimately can lead to disownment, as near to a death penalty as on can get
    in an online community. This scope and matters such as what constitutes
    "keeping the forums attractive" need close attention and detailed
    explication. One man's flood is another man's legitimate defence and we need
    a foolproof way of ensuring these matters are dealt with fairly and
    effectively.

    For now I think the community can police itself day to day and only requires
    intervention when the guidelines are flouted and serious conflicts occur (or
    there is *serious* violation of the rules). I think this is where our
    efforts are best spent: informal escalation "circuit-breakers", informal
    conflict resolution/adjudication and a formal discipline system for
    *serious* violations of serious, well defined rules.

    Kind regards

    Jonathan

    * We all record who we would be happy to have as a referees - if there is an
    overlap, that person referees the dispute or argument. This will fall into
    two categories: The argument or issue under discussion or behaviour related
    to how the argument is conducted. So, disputants might request a referee to
    sum up a position, close a thread or decide if it I fruitful or not to
    continue. Alternatively, they can be asked to judge whether statements or
    implied statements are offensive, abusive or unnecessarily personal.