virus: Re:"Brights" more destructive than good / WSJ attacks atheism

From: Kharin (kharin@kharin.com)
Date: Mon Oct 13 2003 - 12:14:54 MDT

    "Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons that the brights here do not self-identify with the brights?"

    At the risk of being facetious, I find the term a little too twee. In that sense it strikes me as being an atheist response to 'Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.' Daniel Dennett wants me for a bright... shudder.

    More seriously, the problem the brights have is that the term doesn't mean anything as yet. It does not presently have the associations that they wish to endow it; and until it does people will not readily self identity with it. Hopefully this problem will lessen over time; in the meantime one certainly has to observe that the barrage of vilification directed towards the brights from the religious right is at least a sign of being taken reasonably seriously.

    ----
    This message was posted by Kharin to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29508>