RE: virus: "Brights" more destructive than good / WSJ attacks atheism

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Mon Oct 13 2003 - 15:04:03 MDT

    [Blunderov1]
    I do not assert anything about the nature of existence except that it
    exists. In order to attempt to falsify this statement, I, or something else,
    would have to exist in order to do so. Therefore it cannot be falsified.

    This point is fundamental to my particular 'method' of refutating 'god': I
    have never met a theist who did not claim that god was the 'creator' but
    this is not supportable. It is not possible that anything in existence has
    not always existed, because it is not possible to obtain something from
    nothing without tampering with the meaning of 'nothing'. Therefore there can
    have been no creator - everything that exists must always (in some form or
    another) have existed.*

    Of course theists often claim this characteristic of 'always having existed'
    as being unique to their god - but it begs the question. God would have had
    to create the universe/s from something that already existed i.e. itself.
    Therefore EVERYTHING must be god - which is the Pantheist position.

    'Pantheism is the acceptable face of atheism' (Schopenhauer)

    Best Regards

    * I recently found out that an old Greek by the name of Parmenides also
    thought this.

    On Behalf Of Ant
    Sent: 13 October 2003 2139
    Not with complete certainty...

    There is existence... but what exists? where? Cogito ergo sum, but where is
    the I that is thinking? In this fleshy body? In a jewel? [a la Greg Egan] do
    I have separate existence from everyone else? does everyone else have the
    same perceptions of existence.