RE: virus: Re:"Brights" more destructive than good / WSJ attacks atheism

From: Calvin Ashmore (coa@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 13 2003 - 19:09:47 MDT

    So, *technically*, the definition of "a Bright" is simply someone with a
    naturalistic worldview. When many people here are claiming that they don't
    support the Brights, I suppose this is to mean that you simply dislike using
    the condescending moniker.

    I don't dissapprove of the notion of fostering public acceptance for an
    umbrella term like this, and while the term "Bright" has many unwanted
    implications (from a public acceptance standpoint), the confrontational term
    leads to public awareness of it.

    Organizing athiests is like herding cats. Everyone is going their own way,
    using their own system of philosophy, and attitude towards other religions.
    And this varies from feelings of superiority, to bitterness and hostility,
    to disregard, to acceptance. Some see placid spirituality as being just as
    bad as militant evangelical fundamentalism.

    Generally (that I've seen) athiests are very passionate about the exact
    attitudes they have.

    So, in my opinion, an umbrella term is needed for public acceptance and
    recognition, yet, for it to serve as an appropriate umbrella term, there
    needs to be an agreement among its constituents which is unlikely to come
    easily.

    I'd like to point out that while we may not all like the term "Brights", we
    all almost certainly classify as Brights under Dawkins and Dennett's
    definition. The term "Reasonables" is a good one, but I don't really have
    complete confidence that every athiest is reasonable.

    So this raises a few questions...
    for one, would the best way to encourage acceptance of athiesm, naturalistic
    worldviews, and the virtues of the CoV be to support the Brights, or to try
    to not identify with them?

    And also- do other religious organizations have these problems with the
    attitudes of their members regarding other religions? Of course there is
    variance over in the broad sense- but small churches and such things tend to
    stick together pretty well (an assertion from my limited experience). Do we
    need to hold bake sales? What should we do to strengthen the bonds in our
    community? And as that is done here, perhaps it will gain momentum outside
    the CoV...

    We'll see :]
    Take care, all
    -Calvin