Re: virus: RE: virus-digest V9 #272

From: Kirk Steele (ksteele42@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 13:57:23 MDT

    Your post is 74k. learn how to post please. DO NOT REPLY TO AN ENTIRE DIGEST WITHOUT CUTING AND PASTING. thank you

    kirksteele

    Rich Lawrence <rlawrence1@triad.rr.com> wrote:
    I usually don't post as there are far more eloquent writers out there than
    me. I would, however, like to throw my two cents in regarding this exchange
    between LhyR of Chaos and rhinoceros and, as an aside, the exchanges
    regarding the WSJ article on the "Brights". It seems that no matter what
    "god" you happen to be discussing, your ability to understand this "god"
    will always seem to fall short of the mark somehow and this will necessitate
    going to either the person your are debating with for understanding or
    his/her spiritual teacher/mentor/etc. In short, a belief in "god" always
    results in some sort of intellectual sacrifice or tradeoff for the believer.

    There also seems to be an underlying current of assumed certainty or a
    promise of potential certainty of knowledge when you debate or read the
    arguments presented by those who have a god-belief. This attitude was quite
    noticeable in the "Brights" article. The assumption that the knowledge
    obtained using the rational processes has a degree of uncertainty associated
    to it because of the method by which it was obtained (in this case, through
    our "fallible" senses). This, it is argued, makes that knowledge, at least
    in the mind of a person who holds to a god-belief, somehow substandard. The
    usual response, and Dinesh D'Souza doesn't disappoint us, is that the mind
    that holds to a god-belief either has or will have some sort of certain
    knowledge that is on a much higher level than can be obtained through mere
    reason,

    "The atheist foolishly presumes that reason is in principle capable of
    figuring out all that there is, while the theist at least knows that there
    is a reality greater than, and beyond, that which our senses and our minds
    can ever apprehend."

    I suppose, were I to be uncharitable, I could paraphrase the above sentiment
    as; "Don't you worry! One day we will find out something that will finally
    show you rationalists that we are not as stupid as we appear". But, I
    wouldn't do such a thing.

    While the statement of Kant and others regarding the fallibility of the
    senses is true, it is interesting that by using the principles of
    rationality we are about to identify these shortcomings and adjust
    accordingly. Although, in the debate about the circularity of the earth way
    back when, it is interesting to see who championed the correctness of the
    sense information as a support for their case.