Re:virus: Fear Factor meets CoV

From: Mermaid (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 10:15:17 MDT

    [quote from: rhinoceros on 2003-10-21 at 08:58:53] So, confronting a fear may help break a mental block, but it doesn't completely rid you from that fear, except if you manage to think yourself into believing that it did.

    [Mermaid]Last night, Kalkor and I couldnt agree upon whether banishing a fear means that the fear is replaced by some other emotion or if one just accepts that fear is not the right emotion and accepts whatever happens. e.g. aging and dying.

    If you are afraid of death, how would you deal with it? Do you accept that death is inevitable and stop wasting such a useful emotion as fear on it or do you replace the 'fear' with some other emotion? Can the 'other emotion' be resignation?

    [rhino]What all this meant to me was knowing myself, the environment, and my place in it, but usually I didn't associate it with taking control of myself. It was rather like more efficient floating.

    [Mermaid]Fear can be crippling(fear can be useful too...it can motivate...it can act as an amulet protecting us from our own reckless stupidity). I agree that 'going with the flow' is sometimes better than being anal about decisions, but is it true for *everything*? Surely, there are fears that destroy us and fears that reside harmlessly with us. Regardless of what kind of fear it is, there is always some reason why it takes over. Investigation of our fears and their origins can be a rational exercise. No?

    ----
    This message was posted by Mermaid to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29567>