virus: Fear Factor meets CoV

From: Kalkor (kalkor@kalkor.com)
Date: Mon Oct 20 2003 - 17:11:33 MDT

    I'm going to ramble but I have a serious intent here, so please bear with
    me.

    Part of the "About" page on the CoV website
    (http://virus.lucifer.com/about.html) states that,

    "The main advantage conferred upon adherents is Virus provides a conceptual
    framework for leading a truly meaningful life and attaining immortality
    without resorting to mystical delusions."

    In my opinion, part of "leading a truly meaningful life" is conciously and
    rationally grasping firm control of your life in any way you can. I
    supported Mermaid's suggestion for the CoV Boot Camp for this reason, and
    have chosen to champion another of her ideas for the same reason.

    What does it take to conciously and rationally grasp firm control of your
    life? Again, my opinion: Virian, Mold Thyself! That's right. Who are you?
    Who do you want to be? When you look in the mirror, what do you see? Do you
    percieve flaws? Fix the damn things! Would you like to change anything about
    yourself? DO IT!

    In my experience, it seems that very few people have the ability, strength,
    perspective, whatever you want to call it, to actively mold aspects of
    themselves. How many weight loss clinics and diets are there? How many "stop
    smoking in only 7 days" advertisements do you hear on the radio?

    One of the first and most powerful benefits I got from the rational thought
    processes I learned here was the ability to mold myself. Lets call it a
    meta-mold, in that I am changing that aspect of myself (the ability or lack
    thereof to mold myself maybe). This is an ongoing process, and I hope will
    be the rest of my life. My meaningful life.

    It started out with a suggestion to write down self-percieved flaws and
    address them rationally. Sounds easy! Well it can be.

    So, here's the idea: We're going to do Fear Factor, CoV style. Each one of
    us who decides to participate in this little exercise will have several
    responsibilities:

    1) Identify your greatest fear.
    2) Assist in the process of rationally analysing this fear.
    3) Assist in the process of designing/implementing ways to address this
    fear.
    4) Confront and Conquer!

    As this is a work in progress, I would love for any suggestions as far as
    HOW we're gonna do this! And don't just suggest; if you have something to
    contribute, do so. Please. Jump in and take charge of some aspect of this!

    So to start this off, I had an idea bouncing in my head about this. Notice
    two of the headings above start with "assist". So here's part of how we're
    gonna do it. We'll run the Fear Factor on a distinct thread, and we'll each
    be required to use a certain number of Karma 'applaud' and 'smite' clicks
    per interval. Lets discuss the number, and interval. Comments? Concerns? Got
    an idea of a way to do it better?

    Please make suggestions like the above, and we'll implement the ones we
    like. Or maybe we wont.

    I have very limited time right now, but I wanted to get this brainstorm off
    to a start, and why procrastinate? When I return and have time this evening,
    I'll be making a vote about some aspect of it, yet to be decided. Help me
    decide by replying to this thread.

    Lets prove the "About" page right.
    Are you with me?
    Thought so ;-}

    Whatever you can do or dream, you can begin it.
    Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.
    Begin it now.
    ---Goethe (1749-1832), German poet and dramatist

    Kalkor