Re: virus: conflict resolution process report : incident 187A/4

From: athe nonrex (athenonrex@godisdead.com)
Date: Sun Oct 26 2003 - 01:10:29 MST

    wtf???

    is this serious? am i the only one noticing the gradual developement
    of a heirarchy and judicial process? on a neo-anthropological point,
    this is perhaps an interesting developemental process...but we should
    probably be careful here.

    what more frequently is the case than not is that civilizations and
    communities- and any group/formation/congregation of people in between-
    is what they do, how they act and react, when forming their forms
    of government. too lax, and the community implodes with ungoverned
    and rampant recklessness and irresponsibility for one's actions. but,
    on the opposite side, with too harsh or severe penalties occuring too
    frequently, and often times with questionsable reasons, the community
    would explode in wild dissent and destructive upheavel.

    usually neither extreem is taken. but, it is all in how they handle
    these formations. CoV, if you wish so to refer to us as a legitimate
    community, is currently in this transition (at least this seems to be
    the direction of progression...) so the question is how are we going to
    handle it. i forcast- don't quote me, it's just a prediction- people
    making jumps and grabs for "power" and "authority" in the "society" that
    we've formed. if viewed from the proper vantage (note: not 'correct',
    implying a truth value, but 'proper' meaning "probably different that
    your normal prespective..."), there already have been "power grabs"
    attempted by various people. names, for the sake of decency, shall not
    be named, and as far as any particular battle or conflict within the CoV
    is concerned, i generally remain neutral.

    we need to watch our step, though. unless we realize, actualize and
    utilize our goals- goals i do not believe are (1) specific and tangible
    enough, nor (2) shared commonly enough among virians- any attempts at
    transformation into something resembling a "real" community will
    probably be futile. i'm not denouncing the very very necessary diversity
    that is present in our church; i'm not rallying for a uniformity of
    ideology. a diverse memetic meme-pool, so to speak- is just as
    desireable as a diverse gene pool. i am, however, suggesting that we
    try to develope a certain level of commonality.

    a level high enough the be unifying, and reasonable enough to allow
    our differences to thrive.

    i could be on to something...or, as many others have said...i could be
    smoking crack.

    either way, something to ponder.

    -warmest regards, and still the master of run-on sentences like the one
    you are reading right now,
    athe'nonrex

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    #~every villan is the hero of his own story~#
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

    --- "David McFadzean" <david@lucifer.com> wrote:
    An incident between two virians happened in #virus recently. A
    complaint for a personal attack was issued to Lucifer, who appointed two
    virians of high equity, Kharin and rhinoceros, as members of a
    "Reconciliation Committee" which was summoned to deal with the
    complaint. The process was much like the one described in the
    "Disciplinary Process" which is under review and tentative use (not
    officially approved). The status of the committee comes mostly from the
    Meridion rating system, and the commitee itself felt free to lay out
    some rules along the way.

    1. The committee did not find any personal attack which would deserve
    administrative action.

    2. A word of advice was offered to both parts to avoid getting involved
    in inflammatory situations for the benefit of the community.

    3. In the process, the committee decided that some administrative
    actions used in the incident should not be allowed any more. In
    particular:

    3.a. The use of kick-banning by #virus operators will be subject to
    rational justification in the future.

    3.b. A #virus operator who is in a situation of conflict of interest
    should not resort to kick-banning. He/she should appeal to another
    operator who will take the responsibility for any action needed, if any,
    always subject to justification as in (3.a.)

    4. According to the above, the #virus operator status of the two virians
    involved was temporarily suspended, until they acknowledge that they
    accept to operate under the rules outlined in (3).