virus: Re:Rent control

From: David Lucifer (david@lucifer.com)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 09:13:23 MST

    We had an interesting chat about rent control in #virus yesterday
    <http://tinyurl.com/sp6v>.

    One question that came up is do laissez-faire capitalists think
    that the free market can do no wrong? If it can go wrong,
    what can be done if anything?

    Casey suggests that rent control is justified because he has
    seen it benefit at least two communities. I don't think anyone
    would disagree that it benefits some members of society,
    but the real question is who pays for those benefits?
    Should the landlords be coerced by law (threat of force)
    to pay for these benefits? How is that fair? If forced charity
    is necessary (and I'm not saying it is), wouldn't it be better
    to do it with rent subsidies paid for by tax revenues to at
    least spread the cost across society?

    David

    ----
    This message was posted by David Lucifer to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29606>