RE: virus: What's that smell?

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Thu Oct 30 2003 - 10:24:59 MST

    [Blunderov]
    I wonder what, if anything, this may have to do with pheromones?
    Best Regards

    <q>
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - You don't need to actually see or smell something
    unpleasant to know it is disgusting -- you only need to look at someone
    else's expression, according to research published on Wednesday.

    The brain responds the same whether a person actually experiences
    something disgusting, or just sees another person reacting, Italian
    researchers found.

    Writing in the October 30th issue of the journal Neuron, they said they
    saw the same brain activity in people who smelled a foul odor and in
    those looking at someone else smelling a foul odor.

    Dr. Giacomo Rizzolatti of the University of Parma, Italy, and colleagues
    used functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to watch brain
    activity
    "live."

    The insula and the cingulate cortex areas of the brain were most active
    in both groups, they reported.

    "The present findings indicate that seeing someone else's facial
    expressions triggers the neural activity typical of our own experience
    of the same emotion," they wrote.

    The same may be true of other emotional reactions, they said.
    </q>