virus: Re: What does it mean to be me?

From: Epidemic (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Sun Nov 02 2003 - 14:24:34 MST

    WARNING: OUTSIDE MEMES ARE PRESENT. YOU MAY BECOME INFECTED

    It is the goal of Buddhism to eliminate the self, in a manner of speaking.

    We see it as sort of frightening to imagine 'us' being something other than 'we' are. If I drink too much and black out, what did I do in that time I don't remember? Could I end up like Sybil or Ed Norton in Fight Club? However, as pointed out in the article and in Buddhism, the self once lost is not necessarily a bad thing (Epilepsy has other negatives to it, losing the self is scary only to those who desire to hold on to the self).

    This leads me to believe that the concept of "I" is a memeplex. A compositie of memories, how other people react to us, how we react to outside stimuli, etc. It is not a ghost in the machine, it is an infection. The question becomes: is it an infection worth having?

    ----
    This message was posted by Epidemic to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29630>