Re:virus: New virian virtue

From: metahuman (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 17:54:30 MST

    Simul, your question directed towards me was adequately answered by Kalkor's reply. By the way, Blunderov is B. He has a "B" in his alias. You do not, S. ;p

    confidence:
    a sense of assurance, faith, or trust in a person or thing, or in oneself.

    self-esteem:
    confidence or pride in oneself; self-respect.

    The golfer in Blunderov's example has low self-esteem.

    The weak golfer says to himself, "Please don't hit the ball into the water. Please don't hit the ball into the water!"

    A strong golfer thinks to himself, discreetly, that he is going to win.

    Though I think a better example is the difference between the Average Frustrated Chump (AFC) and a DJ (Don Juan). The DJ will act and react with confidence in himself that everything he does is positive and that nothing can go wrong when he's in charge... and even when he is not. His confidence will shine through when flirting with a female and he will ultimately succeed whether or not he gets the girl. This is the alpha male.

    On the otherhand, the AFC will worry what she'll say when--if--he asks her out. If he talks to her, he'll overanalyze what she says asking himself, "What does she mean by 'okay'?" Sometimes he'll place his mark on a pedestal and call her a goddess. He'll think he is less than she and can never measure up to her beauty. The AFC will lose because he is not confident in himself. This is the male with his tail between his legs, whimpering, and running off into the woods alone.

    Then there's the con artist who is not only confident in himself but also gives his victim confidence in exchange for money.

    ----
    This message was posted by metahuman to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29663>