Re: virus: New virian virtue

From: Erik Aronesty (erik@zoneedit.com)
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 15:42:32 MST

    > > : Is someone that has integrity necessarily virtuous?
    > >
    > > No, they are merely inneffective. And they waste other people's time
    and resources.

    > I assume you meant the opposite?

    Right! There I was talking about people's time and resources, and wasting
    them myself.

    > > : How does it relate to the existing sins and virtues?
    > > It is orthoganal, with a purpose to motivate them.
    > It is not orthogonal if integrity is logically the opposite of hypocrisy.
    > If your definition differs, could you elaborate?

    I agree that they are similar.

    However, "having integrity" can be more motivating than "not being
    hypocritical". I think this was mentioned elsewhere.

    And I want COV to succeed. Really.

    > > : Is it always rational to maintain integrity?
    > > What is rational about saying you will do something when you will not?
    > Wouldn't that depend on the circumstances?

    When you lack integrity, you waste people's time and energy. Integrity is
    not some"absolute". People have "measures" of integrity. For example if I
    tell someone I'm going to be there at 5:00, and I call them, tell them I'll
    be late, and show up at 5:01, I lack some integrity. But if I don't show up
    at alll, I lack a whole lot of integrity.

    Plus there is the "overlap" issue. I may commit to social change in a
    certain area. This commitment may create a conflict where I must violate
    previous social contracts in order to uphold new ones.

    The point is not that a person "must always be in integrity". The point is
    that it is a "virtue"... a generally desireably and rarely fully attainable
    state of being.... in Integrity.