RE: virus: New virian virtue

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 15:42:52 MST

    David McFadzean
    > Sent: 11 November 2003 0018
    > > What is rational about saying you will do something when you will
    not?

    > Wouldn't that depend on the circumstances?
    [Blunderov]
    It may in fact be normal to be deceitful. I read somewhere once that one
    of the consequences of symbolic language is that it gives us the ability
    to lie. If I recall correctly, it was asserted that, because of this,
    lying is a behaviour found only in the human species.

    I'm not entirely sure that this is really true - but the only example I
    can think of that might falsify this is when my cats have successfully
    persuaded me that they haven't been fed and have manipulated me into
    providing a second sitting. It must be said though, that this may be a
    rather anthropomorphic interpretation.

    An ironic thought though - that one of the main uses of language is to
    deceive.

    Best Regards