Re:virus: New virian virtue

From: metahuman (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 02:15:15 MST

    I do think I may be wrong about my previous definitions of hypocrisy and integrity. We should staple to the board the form of integrity and hypocrisy we are discussing. Are we speaking of religious hypocrisy and religious integrity, intellectual hypocrisy and intellectual integrity, social hypocrisy and social integrity, political hypocrisy and political integrity, or something else?

    I'm going to do some more reading on the subject of intellectual integrity and intellectual hypocrisy as these two subjects are far more interesting to me than the religious versions.

    "Hypocrite: the man who murdered both his parents... pleaded for mercy on the grounds that he was an orphan." -- Abraham Lincoln.

    Intellectual integrity is defined as recognition of the need to be true to one’s own thinking and to hold oneself to the same standards one expects others to meet. It means to hold oneself to the same rigorous standards of evidence and proof to which one holds one’s antagonists – to practice what one advocates for others. It also means to honestly admit discrepancies and inconsistencies in one’s own thought and action, and to be able to identify inconsistencies in one’s own thinking.

    The opposite of intellectual integrity is intellectual hypocrisy, a state of mind unconcerned with genuine integrity.

    Source: http://www.clc.cc.mn.us/bentley/Critical%20Thinking/Integrity.htm

    Resources for intellectual integrity
    http://www.erasmatazz.com/library/JCGD_Volume_7/Intellectual_Integrity.html
    http://apk.net/~qc/mind/sci/index.html
    http://www.criticalthinking.org/University/intraits.html

    ----
    This message was posted by metahuman to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29663>