virus: CSICOP Announce: Articles, Pensar and John Edward Ratings

From: metahuman (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 16:32:30 MST

    Larry King and the Paranormal
    by Leon Jaroff
    TIME
    http://www.time.com/time/columnist/jaroff/article/0,9565,538305,00.html

    "Cable News Network calls itself “The Most Trusted Name In News.” One
    of CNN’s best rated shows, the award-winning “Larry King Live,” has
    contributed to that trust with candid interviews of such prominent guests
    as Tony Blair, Bill Clinton, Vladimir Putin, Jimmy Carter and Margaret
    Thatcher, as well as by hosting the memorable 1993 debate between Al Gore
    and Ross Perot."

    Editors Note: see the Chris Mooney column at: http://www.csicop.org/doubtandabout/larryking/

    Does Science Matter?
    By WILLIAM J. BROADand JAMES GLANZ
    New York Times
    <http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/11/science/11MATT.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5062&en=c12adf4ed92d26a8&ex=1069131600&partner=GOOGLEš³y

    "Through its rituals of discovery, science has extended life, conquered
    disease and offered new sexual and commercial freedoms. It has pushed aside
    demigods and demons and revealed a cosmos more intricate and awesome than
    anything produced by pure imagination."

    Cloning, Revisited
    By Amanda Onion
    ABC News
    http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/Living/humancloningrevisited031105.html

    "Remember human cloning?"

    Riot at 'woman-tigress hanging'
    BBC News

    "A riot broke out after police tried to disperse a crowd gathered to watch
    the rumoured hanging of a "woman-tigress", Iran's Jomhuri-Eslami paper
    reports."

    HELP — Jacko Really Needs Somebody
    By Roger Friedman
    FOX News

    "HELP — the Scientology-based literacy program — is back on the Web site
    Michael Jackson is using to raise money for charity. "

    Factories Seek To Fix Kokomo Hum
    Associated Press
    http://www.theindychannel.com/news/2623656/detail.html

    "The discovery of the likely source of a mysterious hum irritating some
    Kokomo residents has prompted two local factories to try to fix industrial
    fans identified as the problem."

    Nobel Prize-winning scientist wows some, worries others
    By JoANNE VIVIANO
    YOUNGSTOWN VINDICATOR
    http://www.vindy.com/local_news/279051929445300.php

    "Hundreds of Youngstown State University students crammed into a lecture
    hall Wednesday to hear the thoughts of a man considered a legend in the
    field of biology."

    Board gives final approval to biology books
    by APRIL CASTRO
    Associated Press
    http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/state/7208838.htm

    "Biology books in Texas will continue to present the origin of life
    according to the theories of Charles Darwin."

    Intelligent design doesn't belong in science class
    by Jamie Crannell
    Minneapolis Star Tribune

    "The science we teach in Minnesota ought to be limited to science. Theology
    and religious views should not be confused with science."

    The Big Chill at the Lab
    By BOB HERBERT
    New York Times
    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/03/opinion/03HERB.html?ex=1068613200&en=150371975ae987c1&ei=5070

    "A list of nearly 200 scientific researchers has been compiled and given to
    federal officials by the Traditional Values Coalition, a conservative group
    that goes wild over gay issues and federal funding of research related to
    human sexuality."

    Rousing Science Out of the Lab and Into the Limelight
    By CORNELIA DEAN
    New York Times
    <http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/11/science/11EXPL.html?ex=1069131600&en=cc8b40565af99f34&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE

    "Last summer, the pollster Daniel Yankelovich reported what might seem a
    strange finding: scientists are distressed by the media's insistence on
    presenting "both sides.""

    The soul hypothesis: Scientist wonders if there is proof for existence of
    consciousness
    By Elaine Jarvik
    Deseret Morning News
    http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,525036215,00.html

    "With science, it has always been a question of matter over mind. The
    actual brain, gray and wrinkly and full of electrical activity, can be
    measured and mapped, so that's fine. But the mind — the part of you that
    thinks it thinks, the feeling you have that you willed your arm to move or
    decided to order the salad instead of the burger — that's just an illusion,
    just the by-product of nerve activity, neuroscientists say. Consciousness,
    they argue, is really just one big neuronal machine."

    Will We Ever Find Atlantis?
    By JOHN NOBLE WILFORD
    New York Times
    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/11/science/11ATLA.html

    "Somewhere in the imagination, at an intersection of the idealized Golden
    Age and mankind's descent into manifest imperfection, existed the island
    civilization of Atlantis. This realm of divine origin was ruled from a
    splendid metropolis in the distant ocean. Its empire, described by a
    philosopher as "larger than Libya and Asia combined," enjoyed prosperity
    and great power."

    Do Paranormal Phenomena Exist?
    By KENNETH CHANG
    New York Times
    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/11/science/11PARA.html

    "Mention mind reading, ghosts, premonitions, the bending of spoons through
    thought or other supposed mysteries of the paranormal, and most scientists
    will say there are no such things."

    2) New CSICOP Publication Makes TV Debut in Argentina

    >From Pensar Editor Alejandro Borgo:

    Hi people, here is the first time "Pensar" appears on tv.
    It was an interview for a tv special broadcast by the official national TV
    about Ghosts and Haunted Houses.
    It shows the www.pensar.org address.

    Best,
    Alejandro

    3) and finally...

    >From Marc Berman's Mediaweek column this week:

    National Ratings in Syndication:
    Season To-Date Update

    What follows are updated household ratings (GAA - gross average audience
    when available) through the week of Oct. 13 broken out by genre in
    syndication. Percent change versus the comparable year-ago period is in
    parentheses for all established series.

    TALK
    Oprah: 6.5 (+12), Dr. Phil: 5.3 (+23), Live With Regis & Kelly: 3.5 (+ 6),
    Maury: 3.0 (+ 3), Jerry Springer: 2.7 (+13), Montel: 2.4 (+ 4), Sharon
    Osbourne: 1.5, Ricki: 1.4 (- 7), Ellen DeGeneres: 1.4, John Walsh: 1.1
    -21), John Edward: 1.1 (-42), Good Day Live, Wayne Brady, Living It Up
    with Jack & Ali: 1.0, Ask Rita: 0.7

    John Edward: 1.1 (-42)

    CSICOP encourages the critical investigation of paranormal and fringe-science claims from a responsible, scientific point of view and disseminates factual information about the results of such inquiries to the scientific community and the public. Find out more: http://www.csicop.org/

    ----
    This message was posted by metahuman to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=29673>