RE: virus: thought experiment #35

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Sat Nov 22 2003 - 10:12:25 MST

    David McFadzean
    > Sent: 17 November 2003 1922
    > An interesting thought experiment courtesy of Raven's blog
    > http://blog.ravenblack.net/:
    >
    > If a nondescript person on the street gave you a blank cheque (signed
    and
    > such, obviously)
    > and permission to use it, but didn't tell you how much is in the
    account,
    > how much would
    > you make out the cheque for, and why? [You can assume the person
    proves
    > their identity to
    > your satisfaction.]
    >
    > If the person says they'll tell you how much was in the account once
    > you've got the money
    > (or once the cheque has bounced), how does that affect your answer, if
    at
    > all?
    [Blunderov]
    Haven't been to the blog yet but the question has been much on my mind -
    a nice puzzle!

    It seems to me that there would be little point in filling in the cheque
    for any amount that would not change your life in some significant way.

    The worst that can happen is that you walk away from the encounter with
    your life exactly the same as it was before.

    There is no risk in citing an amount that would change your life.
    There is no point in choosing an amount that will make little or no
    difference to your life because this outcome is already probable anyway.

    The more easily your life can be changed for the better, the more likely
    it is that the cheque will fulfill this outcome.

    For instance if you are working for the dreaded minimum wage and your
    car is broken with no prospect of money becoming available for its
    repair, the sensible choice is to fill out the cheque for the amount of
    the repair.

    Or, if you are doing OK but the taxman unexpectedly demands ten thousand
    dollars from you, then fill out the cheque for that amount.

    But if you are living in Mr Mickawber heaven, the sensible choice would
    be to fill it out for a million dollars or whatever arbitrary amount you
    decide would gear up your financial position by one level.

    Best Regards