RE: virus: Re: Abstract and Concrete

From: Keith Henson (hkhenson@rogers.com)
Date: Sun Nov 23 2003 - 13:50:28 MST

    At 08:52 PM 23/11/03 +0200, you wrote:
    >[Blunderov]
    >I was interested to discover that the distinction between abstract and
    >concrete is something that has only very recently come to the attention
    >of Philososphy.
    >
    >It really is very interesting - are, for instance, memes abstract or
    >concrete?

    Yes. :-)

    This takes a bit of discussion and examples to make it clear. A meme is
    an abstract *information pattern." But like *all* information it has to be
    encoded in concrete matter. So a particular kind of "paper airplane" meme
    can be encoded in brains, in a video of someone making one, in a drawing of
    how to make one, in text describing how to fold one up, or in an actual
    physical paper airplane (because the meme for how to fold one can be
    extracted from the folded paper by noting the steps of unfolding a paper
    airplane to a flat sheet).

    Keith Henson